You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Part of image missing without me doing so.

Hello everyone,

I was in AP wanting to clip some art away from the background. I did almost make it perfect, except there is a portion that is missing which was never touched by me using any other tools. It seems to have unknowingly "erased" itself.
I read other forums and tried suggested solutions, but nothing worked. I don't want to have to do the selection all over since I am not very savvy with it.
The mistake can be found at the bottom of the plant inside the red circle.

I've uploaded the source file if anyone can take a look.

image.thumb.png.8af0a2437e3aa99f977e44dabcfd3d26.png

Masked GCB NEW LABEL July 2021.afphoto

Hi,

no big deal. Just take a brush, select white color, and paint in the missing part to the mask layer again. Takes about 5 Seconds to correct.

But then i found several more imperfections. So you may need 10 600 more seconds to correct all of them.

Best practice advice: create a fill layer with a strong contrasting primary color (e.g. blue), an put it  on bottom in the layer stack, to see all the imperfections. It really depends on what do you intend to do with the masked image if this matters - or not.

image.thumb.png.14005b2aeb79a25eb00ea484f2720ca6.png

Masked GCB NEW LABEL July 2021_tone.afphoto

Edited by NotMyFault
added contrast blue fill layer to

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

It is the mask that is the issue..It is just not 100% accurate.. You just need to manually correct it...

1. Select the mask
2. Zoom in to area that is incorrect
3. Select paint brush and set colour to white and paint in area or black to erase

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2437
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

40 minutes ago, McFlystradamus said:

Thanks for the tip.
I've tried this one before and the only thing that happens is adding white and essentially erasing my object. I've even watched videos on it and that hasn't worked for me before.
Is it an issue that the object is already masked?

Ensure that the mask layer is selected, not the pixel layer.

A small portion of the pixel layer is already erased (independent from the mask). You may need to start with a fresh copy of the original image.

I noticed that a part of the image was already made transparent, obviously using a brush, and not done perfectly as portions are left partially transparent.

Other parts seem to be th result of "erase white paper", which erases all white areas, even by mistake those inside the plant.

image.thumb.png.a65eba8c1d8c5ee16b4658cddebfb26e.png

You should consider using only one technique (but do not mix):

• using a mask (non-destructve, preferred)
  • or erasing from the pixel layers (destructive, only for experienced users)

Never the less, getting to perfect masks is tedious and time consuming.

image.png.8829d4eefcdc80446dc9cc460a9a33a0.png

Edited by NotMyFault

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault

I am unable to select just the mask layer without the pixel layer. Is that normal?

In regards to the brushes used, I was only correcting the inside portions that were background only. Sadly, I didn’t discover the “erase background” brush until after I begun with using the “erase” brush. I can see the example you highlighted as my error, but the other areas seem to have vanished. 
I still cannot explain why there are two portions inside my mask that are missing from the mask. Both areas I didn’t use the brush around. 
I’m generally using “undo task” liberally and would have caught my error before advancing. 

Would it be possible to add the source image to the file again and some how “restore” the areas that are missing and erased?

2 minutes ago, McFlystradamus said:

@NotMyFault

Would it be possible to add the source image to the file again and some how “restore” the areas that are missing and erased?

Absolutely, just use File>place to put in the original image from a file as layer.

4 minutes ago, McFlystradamus said:

I still cannot explain why there are two portions inside my mask that are missing from the mask.

This happens even to most experienced users. Selecting the wrong layer during edits, selecting the wrong tool by accident are the most common errors. Thank god and Affinity for the undo / history function.

For future edits: you may add snapshots (frequently) to save any intermediate state, which can come handy as you can use the undo brush selectively restore from these snapshots. And do not forget to occasionally save the file (at least every 30 minutes).

8 minutes ago, McFlystradamus said:

I am unable to select just the mask layer without the pixel layer. Is that normal?

If you mouse-click on the thumbnail image of the mask layer, it will be selected, and affected by edits.

image.png.f52f569d0d6658cc0e7a80e9409465c9.png

If you mouse-click on the thumbnail image of the pixel layer, it will be selected, but all nested layers will be shown as selected. Nevre the less, only the pixel layer gets edited

image.png.21ec1500c9cfd97a8ed40bf0531fa04b.png

move it in the position (in the layer stack) where the "damaged" image was. Deactivate the damaged layer. If stuck, could you upload the file again?