You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I'm fairly new to graphics work so please forgive me if this seems simple.

I'm trying to replicate the layer mask effect I can achieve in gimp. I'm currently using the last beta version of Affinity Designer and I'm keen to purchase it.

I've attached an image to explain, across the top is a logo, some wood panels and a b&w mask version of the wood. I would like to mask out the logo where there is black on the mask - to achive an old/worn look. Along the bottom is the logo with transparent areas, the finished effect, and the layer manager in gimp.

Is this possible in Affinity Designer, and if so, how can it be achieved? I've spent WAY too much time trying!

Many thanks,

Adam

post-932-0-83307900-1412329654_thumb.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

(In reference to Affinity Designer using greyscale information from a bitmap as a mask directly.)

The masking feature was improved and is now possible to achieve what you were trying to create.

You can get the latest beta (1.0.19815) here in case you want to try it. The updated MAS version will be available later.

We would be really grateful, if you could explain how to do this method/technique, as you said this had been implemented to Affinity Designer in October 2014.

:)

• Staff

Hello Carlos, Mireille G,

Sorry the delay replying.

To use a greyscale image as a mask, select the image, go to menu Layer  Rasterise to Mask.

If necessary, I will write a small tutorial showing how to achieve a result similar to the example in the first post.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

• 8 months later...

Thanks MEB, that really helped. Unfortunately the German translation which I'm using is quite misleading. "Rasterize to Mask" should be translated "Rastern als Maske". The way it's translated now would mean in English something like "Rasterize through Mask" :(

Thanks!