You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page borders do not hide when in Preview mode.

In my Master Page spread I'm adding a shadow effect to look like the center of a magazine, but the default border lines are messing me up.  Really it's only the center/border line.  It's showing as a lighter line over the shadows I've added.  Of course it's does not export so everything comes out fine.  But when adjusting the shadow and blur effects it's hard to determine exactly what I got until export.

Here the thread I started about it.  

Screen Shot 2021-06-21 at 1.17.47 PM.png

An .afpub opened in AD doesn't display this center line or page borders. Though AD doesn't offer a preview toggle mode it allows to set bleed to visible. Additionally, this makes me wonder if in AD's kind of permanent preview mode the special characters in text objects should be visible only for selected layers?

302535844_spreadcenterline-APUB.thumb.jpg.ca9ad82e187d77d24277ecdb25ca8d86.jpg

1937560780_spreadcenterline-AD.thumb.jpg.550a53123158f9784b6e6259935d7a1f.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi @chrisborgman The fact that the line is still present when you Preview has been logged before. I will update the issue with your information about how it affects facing pages and pass it on to the development team.

As a workaround you could create your centre border in Designer without a centre line as shown above by @thomaso and then Place it into your Master page in Publisher. Then once you know you've got it right, the centre line is helpful so you know everything is in the right place.

Alternatively you could create the shadow effect in Publisher on one page and move it to the centre once you know it's right.

@SPaceBar, wouldn't the Transparency Grid also belong to the set of design aids and get set to invisible in Preview Mode? In particular because it's not at all a document property (= not influencing export or print) and it can't be toggled with 1-click or shortcut key as view option like the other items in Preview Mode. – The Help says:

« Preview Mode can used to view your publication spread without any distracting on-screen design aids (e.g., guides, grids, margins or bleed preview) from being shown. Off-page objects or partially overlapping objects are clipped to canvas. This may help you envisage how your finished project may look. »

44 minutes ago, SPaceBar said:

all of the other design aids are set by you.

Oh, like bleed or page size is set by me (but not the spread's center) also transparency & opacity are always up to me and my layout objects.

Consider, by default the entire page is transparent while a blank page on print or export never would show a checkerboard (unless it's placed as graphic with opacity). Showing "blank paper" as white is the sense of Preview Mode, isn't it?  (–> "envisage how your finished project may look")