You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Conflicting display of leading.

2 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

That totally depends on the settings:

That it does, but of course only APub (officially) provides access to the Text Frame panel.

8 minutes ago, thomaso said:

However, meanwhile this discussion seems to have quite a few cross posts and repeats.

I think that is just about unavoidable because there are so many different things involved in what determines line spacing.

It can be enough to confound even some experienced users.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

But if you do that, any lines with 12 pt text will possibly have their characters collide with the lines above or below them. Perhaps not with 8/10/12 but what about with 8/10/15.

bonsoir,

En fait les corps de texte importe peu, ce qui serait intéressant est de pouvoir définir un "comportement général" pour le paragraphe.
Ce qui permet, éventuellement, d'utiliser un principe général d'interlignage dans la mise en page, genre x % ou multiple... en utilisant la gestion auto de override, car plus de modification particulière a effectuer dans le paragraphe.
Sans doute le terme médian est peu adapté car il désigne le point central des valeurs.
Si on utilise du 8, 10, 12 pts, on peut choisir une de ces trois valeurs en fonction de l'effet recherché. Et après tout le corps le plus important pourrait être en petites capitales, ou décalé de la ligne de base...

In fact, the sizes text does not matter, what would be interesting is to be able to define a "general behaviour" for the paragraph.
This allows, eventually, to use a general principle of leading in the layout, like x % or multiple... using the (auto) management of leading override, because no particular modification of leading has to be done in the paragraph.
The term median is probably not very suitable as it refers to the central point of the values.
If you use 8, 10, 12 pts, you can choose one of these three values depending on the effect you want. And after all, the most important body could be in small caps, or offset from the baseline...

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

6 minutes ago, uneMule said:

In fact, the body text does not matter, what would be interesting is to be able to define a "general behaviour" for the paragraph.

For line spacing, isn't that what paragraph leading already provides?

If you want to define more general text behaviors why not make use of the extensive support for text styles built into the app?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

For line spacing, isn't that what paragraph leading already provides?

If you want to define more general text behaviors why not make use of the extensive support for text styles built into the app?

Bonsoir,
C'est une bonne question. Mais toutes les mises en page ne nécessite pas nécessairement la mise en œuvre des styles.
Par contre avoir un paragraphe avec un comportement homogène serait appréciable, il me semble.
Cela m'incite à ajouter qu'un système de copier/coller (genre excel) qui permettrait de copier une sélection de texte et pouvoir coller par ailleurs soit le texte, le style, la couleur... serait bienvenue pour des documents courts (et même moins courts).

Good evening,
This is a good question. But not all page layouts necessarily require the use of styles.
On the other hand, having a paragraph with a homogeneous behaviour would be appreciable, it seems to me.
This prompts me to add that a copy/paste system (like Excel) that would allow you to copy a selection of text and then paste in the text, style, colour, etc. would be welcome for short (and even less short) documents.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

2 minutes ago, uneMule said:

On the other hand, having a paragraph with a homogeneous behaviour would be appreciable, it seems to me.

But regarding line spacing in particular, isn't the general behavior defined by the leading field in the Paragraph panel, so only if you set one or more leading overrides somewhere in the paragraph are any lines spaced non-homogeneously.

Affinity Photo 

33 minutes ago, uneMule said:

a general principle of leading in the layout, like x % or multiple... using the (auto) management of leading override, because no particular modification of leading has to be done in the paragraph.

This sounds like what the available leading option "At least" does. (without using leading override)
(I am still not sure what you want to get newly implemented, to me it seems to exist already)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@R C-R

Si j'ai bien compris votre réponse.

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

But regarding line spacing in particular, isn't the general behavior defined by the leading field in the Paragraph panel,

Oui. Et c'est bien le sujet. Cette valeur à elle seule, et si j'ai bien compris, défini l'interlignage du paragraphe en fonction de ce qu'il s'y trouve.
Et si c'est hétérogène, l'interlignage le sera aussi.
La seule issue sera de faire des modifications ponctuelles en sélectionnant le texte ad hoc et modifier l'interlignage au cas par cas.

Yes, and that's the point. This value alone, as I understand it, defines the line spacing of the paragraph according to what's in it.
And if it's heterogeneous, the line spacing will be heterogeneous.
The only way out is to make ad hoc changes by selecting the relevant text and changing the line spacing on a case-by-case basis.

Toujours pas !

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

This sounds like what the available leading option "At least" does. (without using leading override)
(I am still not sure what you want to get newly implemented, to me it seems to exist already)

En français "au moins". Si cette valeur est définie sur 12 pt, l'interlignage ne bougera pas temps qu'on ne dépasse pas le corps 12.
Par contre, exactly, en français " exactement " semble intéressant.
Je viens de tester, un paragraphe corps 10, interlignage exactement en corps 12, et modification d'une sélection de texte en corps 40(!)...
Ça ne bouge pas. Oui, ça peut faire le job.

In French "au moins". If this value is set to 12 pt, the leading will not move as long as the size of characteres does not exceed 12 pt.
On the other hand, exactly, in French "exactement" seems interesting.
I have just tested now, a paragraph size 10, leading exactly in 12 pts, and modification of a text selection in size 40(! absurd)...
It doesn't move. Yes, it can do the job.

Toujours pas !

18 minutes ago, uneMule said:

On the other hand, exactly, in French "exactement" seems interesting.
I have just tested now, a paragraph size 10, leading exactly in 12 pts, and modification of a text selection in size 40(! absurd)...

Great! Wow, that was a long way to get there, in particular because you mentioned a setting via % repeatedly, which made me think you want the leading relative to the font size – not an absolute value like "Exactly" does.

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Great! Wow, that was a long way to get there, in particular because you mentioned a setting via % repeatedly, which made me think you want the leading relative to the font size – not an absolute value like "Exactly" does.

Comme je suis encore " jeune "* dans l'utilisation de Publisher, et des produits Affinity, j'ai encore beaucoup de réflexes " Adobiens ".
* Ça me fait plaisir de l'écrire.

As I am still "young "* in the use of Publisher, and Affinity products, I still have many "Adobian" reflexes.
* I'm happy to write this.

Toujours pas !

9 minutes ago, uneMule said:

Yes, it can do the job.

You may want to take a moment to review this, the online help topic for the paragraph panel, in particular the explanation of the options in the Spacing (Espacement) section. Without doing that, it is not very obvious how each of the options work, or that the presets can change depending on which of them you use.

Affinity Photo 

@R C-R Merci. Et je crois que j'ai aussi besoin de sommeil ! ***** Thanks. And surely I need some sleep too!

Toujours pas !

26 minutes ago, uneMule said:

a paragraph size 10, leading exactly in 12 pts, and modification of a text selection in size 40(! absurd)...

If you prefer an absolute leading, regardless of font size, you might also like the Baseline Grid feature. With a Baseline Grid you also can achieve 1 specific leading for text of any size. It can kind of override the leading set in paragraph or text style panel. This grid can be set for the entire document and / or for text frames (where it overrides the documents baseline grid). Also you can activate "ignore baseline grid" for frames & text styles which shall not follow this grid but use a custom leading instead.

2 minutes ago, thomaso said:

If you prefer an absolute leading, regardless of font size, you might also like the Baseline Grid feature. With a Baseline Grid you also can achieve 1 specific leading for text of any size. It can kind of override the leading set in paragraph or text style panel. This grid can be set for the entire document and / or for text frames (where it overrides the documents baseline grid). Also you can activate "ignore baseline grid" for frames & text styles which shall not follow this grid but use a custom leading instead.

La grille, je connais. Très utile pour des types précis de mise en page.
Ça fait longtemps que je travaille dans la PAO, prépresse, impression... mais honnêtement je pense avoir à découvrir des choses sur Publisher, et le reste.

The grid, i know. Very useful for specific types of layouts.
I've been working in DTP, photoengraving, prepress, printing... for a long time, but honestly I think I still have things to discover about Publisher, and the rest.

Toujours pas !