You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Panels not closing - on a Mac

Hi,

I am running Affinity Designer V 1.9.3 on my iMac desktop and some of the side panels will not close.

For example  Once in the program I go to File > Place .... and some of the side panels do not close and  come along for the ride and are in the way when I'm searching for the item I want to place.

Also when closing out the program, it will close but 3 side panels remain for a while on my desktop just hanging there.....

This has been happening for a few weeks now.  How do I fix it ?

Many Thanks in advance

Which panels "come along for the ride"? Are they floating or docked?

Also, which 3 panels hang on the desktop for a while & how long is a while?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 6/9/2021 at 3:04 PM, 2989 said:

For example  Once in the program I go to File > Place .... and some of the side panels do not close and  come along for the ride and are in the way when I'm searching for the item I want to place.

The panels shouldn't close when you choose File > Place, they should remain where they are but the Place file dialog box should be on top. Do you mean that the Place files dialog box is opening behind some of the panels and they're in the way? If so, I think I saw somebody else complaining in another thread about a z-order bug. Z-order refers to the third dimension, the stacking order of user interface elements. Somebody else said various user interface elements were appearing in the wrong order for them.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 6/9/2021 at 9:57 PM, R C-R said:

Which panels "come along for the ride"? Are they floating or docked?

Also, which 3 panels hang on the desktop for a while & how long is a while?

Layers and Symbols are the most problematic, the latest was the start up page wouldn't close.  I went from Designer to this forum to ask about it and it came along for the ride. Very annoying.  Screen shot taken with forum behind.  

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 20.14.17.png

Screenshot 2021-06-15 at 20.32.34.png

How long do those 3 (4?) panels remain when you go to this forum? What happens if you click somewhere on the web page not covered by any of the AD panels?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I think you're on Windows so this may not work but as a temporary workaround try turning off Window > Separated mode. That will force all of the panels into a single layer and they shouldn't be able to float about the windows of your other apps.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)