You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ruler defaults

I and my wife would like to see changing ruler defaults to what you want them to be no matter what format your image is (i.e. jpeg, raw, psd, pdf, as well as any other non native Affinity). Yeah I can change it at will but I want to change it only if I have to. The change you want needs to be a default unless you want to use something different. The same goes for any other Affinity product in either Mac or PC and desktop and iPad/iPhone.

6 hours ago, jfw222 said:

I agree! I use inches for everything and have to change from mm. to in. every time.

It sounds like you should be using a different Preset to start your documents, when you use File > New. Some Presets are in millimiters, and some are in inches, depending on their standard definitions. If you want inches, you can choose a preset in File > New that is setup for inches by default, or you can create your own custom preset using inches and select that. Or you can create a Template that uses inches, and start from that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

42 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It sounds like you should be using a different Preset to start your documents, when you use File > New. Some Presets are in millimiters, and some are in inches, depending on their standard definitions. If you want inches, you can choose a preset in File > New that is setup for inches by default, or you can create your own custom preset using inches and select that. Or you can create a Template that uses inches, and start from that.

I think one problem is that in Photo you often simply open an image, rather than starting off by creating a new document, as you would with Designer and Publisher. I would agree that being able to set default units in Photo would be very handy; I do get a bit fed up with continually having to change the units from pixels to cm. 

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

5 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I think one problem is that in Photo you often simply open an image, rather than starting off by creating a new document, as you would with Designer and Publisher. I would agree that being able to set default units in Photo would be very handy; I do get a bit fed up with continually having to change the units from pixels to cm. 

Yes, but that is not the situation I was referring to, as in that case the rulers would be in px units, not mm units.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I was thinking more about the original post, referring particularly to photos. 🙂

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

7 hours ago, jfw222 said:

Thanks to both of you.   In my original post, I should have said px rather than mm.   My work flow most often is simply to drag and drop the image onto AP.   Then it's px every time.

Thanks for the clarification. In case you haven't figured it out yet, it's pretty simple to change the units if you have the rulers displayed; just right-click the unit at the intersection of the rulers and change to what you want. This works with almost all the tools, but not (I think) with the View Tool (the hand).

If I remember correctly you can also change it in the Context Toolbar of the View Tool, which is the default tool in Photo.

-- Walt
PC: