You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher won't start / hangs on loading fonts

Hi there

First time on the forum posting... Just to get it out of the way, I love all the apps and mostly work with Publisher and Photo, occasionally with Designer. I hope a Adobe Lighroom competitor is on its way!

I ran into a strange bug, when starting Publisher it hangs on the screen "loading fonts". Doesn't make a difference whether starting the app directly or opening a file (without the app already running).

I found the culprit but want to report it anyway and try to learn why this happens. I have a peculiar setup (in my garden 🙂 ), I have a Surface Pro 7 with a Targus USB (A) Multi-Display Adapter plugged in from where I run a VGA cable to my monitor. When the adapter isn't plugged in Publisher starts as usual. As soon as Publisher runs I can plug in the adapter and everything works.

I have to shut down the process in Taskmanager after a Publisher doesn't start.

1. Are you using the latest release version? Yes, Ver. 1.9.2.1035
  2. Can you reproduce it? Yes.
  3. Does it happen for a new document? not applicable
  4. If you cannot provide a sample document then please give an accurate description of the problem for example it should include most of the following:
  •    What is your operating system and version (Windows 10, OSX Mojave, etc)? Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.985
  •    Any unusual hardware (like tablets or external monitors or drives that may affect things) or relevant other applications like font managers or display managers.
    Targus USB Multi-Display Adapter (Model #DOCK110), the adpater isn't plugged in to an external power source.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar problem!

On 6/4/2021 at 1:40 PM, U.-P. said:

I hope a Adobe Lighroom competitor is on its way!

Capture One !

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

Windows 10

I just got the same not loading issue on Affintiy Photo/Designer/Publisher. All displaying the loading splash screen and loading fonts, then stop loading.

None of the apps are showing in task manager.

Tried to reinstall and selected repair - no change

Tried uninstall and re-install to new folder - no change

Tried reboot - no change

Tried loading WIndows in Safe Mode - no change

Running out of ides/options here. 

Does Affinity have a safe mode launcher? Any hidden files that control where files load from?

Any help/thoughts?

10 minutes ago, MarkXKR said:

All displaying the loading splash screen and loading fonts, then stop loading.

Have you installed any new fonts recently?

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Avez-vous vérifié si le réglage vidéo correspond bien à la sortie utilisée. Dans mon cas, si je choisis la nvidia, les performances s'effondrent. J'utilise l'écran du portable (HD4000).

Have you checked if the video setting matches the output you are using. In my case, if I choose the nvidia, the performance collapses. I use the laptop screen (HD4000).

videoReglage.jpg

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

50 minutes ago, uneMule said:

Avez-vous vérifié si le réglage vidéo correspond bien à la sortie utilisée. Dans mon cas, si je choisis la nvidia, les performances s'effondrent. J'utilise l'écran du portable (HD4000).

Have you checked if the video setting matches the output you are using. In my case, if I choose the nvidia, the performance collapses. I use the laptop screen (HD4000).

videoReglage.jpg

Thanks @uneMule but I don't get that far to review settings.

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Have you installed any new fonts recently?

@Alfred that's a good question... I may have, I know I had to install a font recently but can't remember what it was :( and just discovered that WIndows font folder doesn't display date installed for fonts. Will work down the fonts to see if I can locate a new font.

@AlfredDans ce cas peut-on imaginer utiliser un gestionnaire de polices pour décharger le système et activer les polices nécessaires plutôt que de surcharger avec des polices inutiles !?
Nexus font est gratuit et fait le job.
In this case, can we imagine using a font manager to unload the system and activate the necessary fonts rather than overloading it with useless fonts!
Nexus font is free and does the job.

Toujours pas !

2 hours ago, uneMule said:

@AlfredDans ce cas peut-on imaginer utiliser un gestionnaire de polices pour décharger le système et activer les polices nécessaires plutôt que de surcharger avec des polices inutiles !?
Nexus font est gratuit et fait le job.
In this case, can we imagine using a font manager to unload the system and activate the necessary fonts rather than overloading it with useless fonts!
Nexus font is free and does the job.

@uneMule That seemed like a good idea... however, removed all fonts except for Windows required fonts, restarted and... still Affinity not loading. Which makes me think that the 'things' it loads after fonts may be the issue. But of course I don;t know what they are as it stops loading after displaying the loading fonts screen...

@MarkXKR

Avez-vous tenté de maintenir ctrl au démarrage de l'application. Cela permet de supprimer les réglages utilisateur.

Did you try to hold down ctrl when starting the application. This deletes the user settings.

Toujours pas !

9 hours ago, uneMule said:

@MarkXKR

Avez-vous tenté de maintenir ctrl au démarrage de l'application. Cela permet de supprimer les réglages utilisateur.

Did you try to hold down ctrl when starting the application. This deletes the user settings.

ThX @uneMule I did try that and selected all to clear and also tried running as Administrator in case it was a permissions requirement. Neither worked. :( 

Vous pouvez essayer de vider ces deux dossiers.

You can try to empty these two folders.

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\attachments

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

Toujours pas !

17 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@uneMulewhy are you suggesting removing the crash reports?

@MarkXKR have a look in the event viewer right after starting the app. Custom Views > Administrative evens. 

@Gabe Won't be able to look at event viewer as app doesn't start, crashes halfway through loading with splashs creen displayed.

@GabeI've already had to clean up these files after a crash. Randomly, obviously, and given your reaction, it unblocked the situation
I am very interested in the outcome of this post.

Toujours pas !

@Gabe

It's done. I've finished my 100 lines: deleting the accident reports will have no impact on anything.
And I won't be asked again. 😇

Toujours pas !

@uneMule / @Gabe Just wanted to get back to you both. It appears that the issue is not with Affinity but with Windows 10. It was updated automatically after I logged out at the weekend and the install has caused these problems. 

Thanks both for your comments. Need to try and fix Win10 now and then see if that gets Affinity working again.