You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Working with PDF/x1a Document Conversion

Hi. I am currently working on a large document (750 pages) and converting it to PDF/x1a. I found out how to do this by first importing as a regular PDF, but when I import the document, it floats around the screen. Is there something I should be doing to stop this? Also, there is no PDF/x1a extension on the file name once it is exported to this version, and there are black squares that appear as an image that I have to delete. Can someone please tell me what this is all about? Thank you all so much. 

3 minutes ago, Angelika said:

Can someone please tell me what this is all about?

Probably not without seeing anything. Ideally also having an example document with at least a subset of the affected content.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• What do you mean with "the document, it floats around the screen" ?
• The PDF file format doesn't have (allow) different suffixes according to its specification (not by Affinity). But you can add/type it as filename.
• Can you show screenshots of "there are black squares that appear as an image" with its according screenshot from Affinity? And/or ideally upload a PDF example page containing it?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hard to tell without seeing the layers panel or inspecting the file. It could be 'just' a redraw issue when displaying the page. Can you detect & select them in the layers panel? Do they also appear if you open the PDF in a different viewing app?

"so big":

163996301_Screenshot.thumb.png.5ce46dbfe5a8db1b387524597e04bdee.png 
If you double-click in your forums editor window on a placed image you can set a smaller size for forums view. If the readers then click on the image it will get displayed in its initial size.
You even can edit the size after submitting your post via the menu ... ("More options") –> "Edit" in the upper right corner of your post.

4 hours ago, Angelika said:

the document, it floats around the screen.

4 hours ago, thomaso said:

• What do you mean with "the document, it floats around the screen" ?

1 hour ago, Angelika said:

Any idea why the document "floats" in the program?

menu View > Separated mode … ?

First question is how was the PDF made originally? Not all PDF's are going to open and be editable properly in Publisher. Can you supply a screen shot of the first page in a PDF viewer so we can compare to the screen shot taken from Publisher? Publisher is not going to be a perfect PDF editor. Lots can go wrong and wonky with your files. An example, if you don't have the fonts embedded in the PDF they will be substituted in Publisher if importuning to edit. 

10 minutes ago, Angelika said:

ruler guides are huge, and have a minus sign, and the document is all over the place.

Possibly confusion in the graphic/video memory or GPU ?

Trial: close the app + reboot the computer.

31 minutes ago, Angelika said:

I think I have the view wrong, because the ruler guides are huge, and have a minus sign, and the document is all over the place.

In which Affinity app did you open the PDF? – Here a sample from AD:
• large ruler numbers, "and have a minus sign"
• pages all "over the place"

1086484024_PDFopenedinAD.thumb.jpg.04038989ac7da7d27d48fdc8e54e1582.jpg