You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[PUBLISHER] Find-Replace - Insert Inline Image, & Delete

One of the things I am using Publisher for is card and board game layout and card designs. This presents some bits and pieces I suspect that Affinity Publisher wasn't quite expecting to have to deal with...

What I want to do, since I don't think Affinity can even come close to reading inbound data from a data merge and do this automatically within the Data Merge process (oh that would be gorgeous!) is...

1) Find some kind of standard phrase used to denote where an icon or graph would go in a block of text. As an example "Choose any home region and reinforce it with 2 [infantry]." In this example [infantry] would be my standard phrase which I can find using the REGEX options in the Find function.

2) In the Replace command, I want to be able to: "Replace with Graphic > infantry.gif > Inline > (set some parameters such as height)".

This would search through the various cards, find [infantry] and then replace it with the infantry.gif inline and with any other parameters I put on infantry.gif.

I realise this might be a manual process for now, but I would really love if it could be automated with a Find-Replace.

Edited: Request two...
Since another method I am sure to be using will be REGEX to automate things like finding text which will have its Character Style changed, it would be FANTASTIC if I could use the same REGEX to modify the underlying text as well.

Example:
Find: (REGEX Expression to find all text between two front slashes)
Replace: Make Character Style Strong and Delete first+last front slash in string.

Convert /Attack/ to Attack through the Find-Replace interface.

Yes, request two is already possible.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, sfriedberg said:

I'm pretty sure you can do "request two" right now.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

@sfriedberg @walt.farrell I understood request #2 to be able to search for text and replace with an image. Maybe I have misunderstood the request, but if not, are you saying it is indeed possible to drop in an actual image using Find & Replace? I would like to learn that trick.

1 minute ago, garrettm30 said:

I understood request #2 to be able to search for text and replace with an image.

That was request 1, item 2.

Request 2 seems to be just RegEx Find/Replace for text.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Peut-on imaginer utiliser la fusion de données pour la demande 1.
F/R [infantry] par la description de la balise qui correspond au chemin d'accès de l'image dans la base de données ?

Can we imagine using data fusion for the request 1.
F/R [infantry] by the description of the tag that corresponds to the path of the image in the database?

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/1/2021 at 4:19 PM, sfriedberg said:

I'm pretty sure you can do "request two" right now.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:43 PM, walt.farrell said:

Yeah, I hadn't seen the nuts and bolts to make that one happen. My Regex-Fu wasn't very good at the time.

I would still love to be able to do Request 1, even if it was just to "Paste from Clipboard" (which would also sort out other similar things because you could change it once manually, copy and then paste from clipboard)