You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD Import Error: Unknown Property - VectorOriginationData

I got several psd-files and all of them lead to a failure message as shown below. Those files contain some layers with a rendered picture.

There were some reports here in this forum with the same failure but I didn't found a solution how to proceed exactly because I am not that familiar with photoshop or affinity.

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks

I am using the WIN desktop version 1.9.2.1035 affinity photo

image.png.b8938f0b79fd0050770277a4ebe14475.png

• Staff

Hi @BELBON,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Can you please upload a copy of this .PSD file here, so we can look into this further for you?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
34 minutes ago, BELBON said:

Thanks Dan - here u go: 

Many thanks for your file!

11 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Repaired solely with Affinity Publisher / Photo. APu seems to have no problems with the missing data when placed.

Many thanks for this Joachim, I would never have thought to place the file in Publisher!

I can confirm that the error you're seeing isn't one I've come across before and I can't see any specific reason when opening the PSD in Photoshop for this error in Affinity, therefore I'm logging the file with our developers now.

In regards to the design looking incorrect in Affinity Photo, this appears to be an issue with an unsupported or unrecognised SmartObject. If you open Affinity Photo and navigate to Preferences > General and then untick Import PSD SmartObjects where possible and re-open the file in Affinity Photo, it will be rendered correctly, the same as the file appears when placed in Publisher.

Of course this means the embedded documents will be rasterised to pixel layers, however the design now looks correct when comparing the file opened in Photoshop.

I'm not 100% certain why Affinity Photo is showing this error and Affinity Publisher is not, hopefully our developers will have a better understanding when attempting to fix this issue.

I hope this helps and many thanks for your report! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
12 minutes ago, BELBON said:

However for me it doesn't work ... I uncklicked PSD Smart Objects and the failure message is reduced but there is still one

Apologies, the error will still show in Affinity Photo when opening the file with this option disabled, however the file itself should look much more similar to how Photoshop opens the file.

This error has been logged with the developers and will require an update to the app to be fixed, I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 8 months later...

Hi, all! I've just come across this error, too, but in Designer. These were my first attempts ever to import a Photoshop file to Designer. I'm attaching the file and a screenshot of the message (+ more info below):

carousel test.psd

vectorOriginationData.png.c76355c77688467021ad42bbd2636556.png

Now, this didn't really cause any issues for me. Since it has to do with vectors, I guess that the shape layers in PS carry two properties which don't have analogs set up in AD. I did a little troubleshooting and my removed shape layers one by one, I saved and imported again. The list of unknown properties got shorter when I deleted a subtracted shape, as well as also two rectangles which somehow were different than the rest of my rectangles (because the latter didn't seem to change the contents of the list). Hope this helps!

• Staff

Hi @ensneah,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

Thanks for your file and information provided, this is certainly helpful!

I've updated the development log with a copy of this document and your findings now, so our developers can use this to continue to improve the Affinity apps & our PSD importer.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 4:49 PM, BELBON said:

image.png.b8938f0b79fd0050770277a4ebe14475.png

Hello everyone!

I recently got myself the Affinity Photo trial because I've grown weary of paying to Adobe every single month.

I just wanted to mention that I bumped into the same problem – this "unknown properties" window popping up when importing a PSD file.

I am not a professional by any means, but just wanted to state that it seems obvious to me that Photoshop has a few little functions here and there (especially in the layer Effects section) that simply don't exist in Affinity, which is why it can't import those properties. Even if many layer effects are similar or even same in both softwares, the controls are still different and often more detailed in the Photoshop ones. This doesn't speak for Photoshop though – on the contrary: I already managed to create far better results with even less work and time and trying around than it was with Photoshop.

And the fact that I'm writing into this forum, after having taken my time to sign up for it, speaks for the fact that Adobe is dead for me and I'm just thankful and happy that something so powerful and smooth, yet reasonable (price-wise) like Affinity exists.

Hope this all makes sense. 😊

Definitely gonna buy Affinity, no matter if there is a discount or not! It is worth every penny!

Edited by WocherMusic
cropped quote, spelling corrections

• Staff

Hi @WocherMusic,

Welcome to the forums & I'm glad to hear you're enjoying using Affinity as much as we enjoy making it :)

If you're willing to provide a copy of this .PSD file here then I can certainly provide this to our development team for further inspection and to help improve the Affinity apps - however as you've mentioned the main reason for seeing this warning is that a function/setting is used within the .PSD file, that Affinity doesn't directly support.

We hope to continue to improve our PSD file importer support to include these functions, where possible!

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C!

Thanks for your warm welcome and yes – the smoothness and simplicity of Affinity is incredible! 😊

It's ok really, as mentioned before, I managed to make really good workarounds (just fiddling with the effect layers) that I'm happy with. No need to make things more complicated for the developers. 😇

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @HelenConnolly,

I can confirm this is a bug logged with our development team, so I will be sure to add a new report with a copy of your .PSD file provided now.

Although these errors are shown, the file should still be editable in Affinity once opened.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

Many thanks!

24 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @HelenConnolly,

I can confirm this is a bug logged with our development team, so I will be sure to add a new report with a copy of your .PSD file provided now.

Although these errors are shown, the file should still be editable in Affinity once opened.

I hope this clears things up!

Thanks Dan. It's just the layout is affected and so the elements will need to be tweaked. I will see what I can do!