You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

drag n' drop into picture frame changes aspect ratio (more and more...)

tl:dr: The screengrab should explain it already.

Experimenting with different Images in a pinned down layout and being able to easily switch them out (e.g. for a retouched version) without changing the placement and aspect ratio is very important. It should work the same whether you are using the resource manager, using the replace-button or dragging it in from finder. (which, for me, is the fastest way when working visually)

But it does not. Obviously this is implemented in different ways... And the drag n'drop feature has (a) bug(s).

As there currently is no beta for publisher I cannot test if this is addressed already with the upcoming 1.9.4 RCs

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

I just downloaded todays 1.9.4 beta of AfPhoto (because maybe they share this code)

Sadly, it is still happening...

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

1 hour ago, woefi said:

tl:dr: The screengrab should explain it already.

I can't replicate this. And I've tried many times now.
APu 1.9.3 on El Capitan

And, most importantly, @Pauls, I'm using Affinity with the "English US" language setting. Since so many of the current bugs seem to boil down to some havoc with these language settings these days… ;)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I have these issues with my retail version (mac AppStore) of AfPublisher 1.9.3 Language "German" and with the beta 1.9.4 of AfPhoto, which is set to "English" (not US)

...btw. I'm on Mojave (10.14.6)

1 minute ago, Pauls said:

I think the frame needs a crop or scaling applied before you start replacing images

Steps to reproduce:

I created a fresh document and made a new picture-box:

• if I drag multiple images into it they are all correctly placed. CHECK

• If I then move one side of the pictureframe to make it "narrower" the image inside keeps its correct aspect ratio. CHECK

• if I now drag multiple images into this frame the issue happens

..continued:

• If I set a scaling/crop and afterwards drag images on it, it is ok. CHECK

• If I set it to automatic scaling (the first option, fill and keep aspect ratio) it happens. BOING

34 minutes ago, woefi said:

Steps to reproduce

OK, going by your 2nd video with the extra scaling steps, now it's "worked".
But only when scaling was done numerically from the context toolbar, not when using the blue picture frame slider.

An obscure bug, but a bug is a bug.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just now, loukash said:

only when scaling was done numerically from the context toolbar

Speaking of which, I've already noticed some weird behavior with this numerical input before in different context. Sometimes the values don't stick or round up or down weirdly; I don't remember.

8 minutes ago, loukash said:

not when using the blue picture frame slider

Well, I really have no use for a scaling slider in a layout program...

Either I want to (A) autofill the frame (B) key in the exact numeric scaling or mostly (C) drag the edges of the image to set a crop like one would do in any other dtp-program...

19 minutes ago, woefi said:

I really have no use for a scaling slider in a layout program

This may be the first time I've used it as well. :D
Just to test if it makes a difference.

Sorry to say, but in the newest beta 1.8.4 build 1076 this is still a thing.

1 hour ago, woefi said:

You mean 1.9.4?

21 minutes ago, loukash said:

You mean 1.9.4?

Of course, sorry.