You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perspective Tool in dual plane mode - Orientation

Running into an issue where the Perspective Tool in dual plane mode is oriented 90 degrees from where I need it, and 90 degrees from where I've seen it appear in all tutorials, videos, and forums.

My photo is portrait orientation. The dual plane perspective tool is oriented with vertex line running horizontally.

image.png.ea6a471aa42b4c7c13ed1ab6e027deae.png

In all the tutorials and other resources, the orientation of the dual plane tool is oriented 90 degrees from this (again, photos are portrait orientation, but vertex line runs horizontally). Any ideas on what's going on, or how to re-orient the tool? Dragging all the points 90 degrees creates bizarre results.

From Tutorial Video:

image.png.5aaae7a72d459a47509ca6d12575875e.png

The only time I have ever known that to happen to me (I'm no expert)- is when I have rotated the canvas while the perspective tool is active. This in effect will rotate the dual perspective grid through 90 degrees.

Is this what you have done to the image?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

• Staff

Hi @jbb,

Sorry to see you're having trouble! I too have not seen this happen previously if the document has not been rotated. Could you please attach a sample of the .afphoto document and the image used (separately) to your reply here?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Out of curiosity I opened your file in Photo and the perspective tool did as you described, but, after rasterising the image and trying the perspective tool again it behaved as I would expect it to, namely, normally.

Screenshot (6).jpg

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

6 hours ago, AffinityJules said:

Out of curiosity I opened your file in Photo and the perspective tool did as you described, but, after rasterising the image and trying the perspective tool again it behaved as I would expect it to, namely, normally.

The Pixel object in the file has a rotation of -90 degrees. Rasterising it replaces it with a Pixel object with no rotation and then the Perspective tool works as you expect.

• Staff

Many thanks for the files @jbb!

As mentioned above, the image has a -90 degree rotation applied, which is why the Perspective Tool is being added in this orientation.

I have opened the image supplied as a new document here and I can see it opens with a 0 degree Rotation value, however uploading the file to the forums may have changed the EXIF rotation information from the original file, which Affinity uses to determine how to orientate the image when importing.

To rasterise the image and resolve this issue, please right-click on your image layer in the Layers Studio and then select Rasterise, you should find the rotation value is now 0 in the Transform Studio and the Perspective tool should now be implemented in the expected orientation.

Please do let us know if this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!