You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artistic Text: pulling right/left center handle w/modifier changes tracking

Hello. :)

I'd like to pitch in a feature request that the Artistic Text tool react to modifier keys with the additional behavior of changing the tracking/letter spacing of a text block. Currently pulling a right or left handle changes the character's width, with shift it changes scale and control some kind of stretch-rotate thing. :)

I often find it necessary to increase the tracking of a block to fit a particular design, and unless I'm missing something, the only way to accomplish that is by playing with direct value entry.

To have the ability to <modifier key>-drag a right/left center handle out to a guide or snap point while seeing the tracking change dynamically would help tons.

Thanks!

= Designer & Programmer =

• 3 months later...
  • Staff

Hi AaplMike, AmpedAndy,

Press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) + left/right arrow keys with the cursor in the middle of a word (between letters) to change the kerning;

Press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) + left/right arrow keys with all text selected (paragraph) or the text object selected (Move Tool) to change the tracking;

Press and hold ⌥ (option/alt) + up/down arrow keys with all text selected (paragraph) or the text object selected (Move Tool) to change paragraph leading.