You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD - Gradient on adjustment layer is not editable

Maybe it was never intended, but...

I have a drawing that I used a gradient to affect an adjustment layer so that I can control where the adjustment occurs and then taper off the effect.

1. Create a shape with a solid color, I used a medium gray.

2. Attach an adjustment layer to this shape, I used HSL.  Give it a noticeable luminosity shift.

3. Click on the adjustment layer's icon to select only it.

4. Select the gradient tool.

5. Using the Opacity on the color wheel, set one of the gradient nodes to 0 opacity.  Notice the nice transition for the HSL.

6. Click on another layer, then click back on the adjustment layer.

The gradient's effect is easily visible so it's still there.  But I can't get the gradient line to show.  In the context toolbar it shows there is no gradient.  How can I adjust the gradient?

The attached drawing has two different instances of this.

Beta 1.3.5.5

FYI the reason I did this in the first place is that I had several layers grouped that each had a different gradient.  I then wanted to use a gradient to affect the entire group.  Attaching a gradient to a group changes the gradient of all children in the group.  But adding a gradient to an adjustment layer does not change the gradient in each child.  But now I can't edit the gradient.  I can delete the adjustment layer and recreate it.  I can then make changes as long as I do not leave the adjustment layer.

Is this a bug?

Test 34.afdesign

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

It's not possible to edit a Gradient Fill on a Mask or Adjustment Layer once finished. You will need to create duplicate of the object, drag into the layer and then use the Gradient Fill on this object. This will allow you to edit it again in the future. I've updated your document with these changes and attached to this post.

Test 34 Updated.afdesign

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.