You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Canon 100-400 mk2 + Canon 1.4x mk3 reported as Tamron 100-400 + 1.4x

Recent photos taken using Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM + Canon EF 1.4x extender III are being shown in the metadata as Tamron 100-400mm f4.5-6 Di VC USD A035E + 1.4x and in the lens correction panel the yellow warning triangle is displayed saying it could not automatically select a lens profile.

If I open the file in Canon DPP the lens data is shown correctly.

• Staff

The exif data in your RAW file is showing a Tamron lens (see lens ID) and the lens type is not very clear either (Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM + 1.4x or Tamron Lens )

---- Composite ----
Drive Mode                      : Continuous Shooting
Lens                            : 140.0 - 560.0 mm
Shooting Mode                   : Aperture-priority AE
WB RGGB Levels                  : 1774 1024 1024 1716
Aperture                        : 8.0
Blue Balance                    : 1.675781
Image Size                      : 6720x4480
Lens ID                         : Tamron 100-400mm f/4.5-6.3 Di VC USD A035E + 1.4x
Megapixels                      : 30.1
---- MakerNotes ----
Macro Mode                      : Normal
Self Timer                      : Off
Quality                         : RAW
Canon Flash Mode                : Off
Continuous Drive                : Continuous, Low
Focus Mode                      : One-shot AF
Record Mode                     : CR2
Canon Image Size                : n/a
Easy Mode                       : Manual
Digital Zoom                    : None
Contrast                        : Normal
Saturation                      : Normal
Metering Mode                   : Spot
Focus Range                     : Not Known
Canon Exposure Mode             : Aperture-priority AE
Lens Type                       : Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM + 1.4x or Tamron Lens
Max Focal Length                : 560 mm
Min Focal Length                : 140 mm

Thank you for looking into.

After reading a bit more on how to examine exif data, it's confusing as 'Lens ID', 'Lens Type' and 'Lens Model' all show different data.  I have checked what lens correction data is in the camera and the Canon 100-400 plus the 1.4 extender are in there.

Would you have an idea as to how this can be corrected?

The display is completely correct wrong.

The problem always arises when a third-party manufacturer uses the same ID as the original manufacturer.

And I suspect that the Canon DPP only uses IDs and data from its own products.

The only possibility is to change the exif data manually with a separate tool. For example with XNview MP

https://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/#downloads

The reason for the frequent absence is that IDs for lenses and other accessories are not standardised.

Edited by Komatös

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 4/30/2021 at 5:20 AM, John Billington said:

Thank you for looking into.

After reading a bit more on how to examine exif data, it's confusing as 'Lens ID', 'Lens Type' and 'Lens Model' all show different data.  I have checked what lens correction data is in the camera and the Canon 100-400 plus the 1.4 extender are in there.

Would you have an idea as to how this can be corrected?

ACDSee Ultimate 2021 has no problem identifying the lens and extender.  See attached screen shot.
ExifTool also gives the LensModel as EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III, and LensSerialNumber as 4810001014 under Exif metadata (The mention of "..or Tamron" occurs in Makers notes, so I'm not sure I would jump in and start changing the Exif metadata.

For what it is worth, Affinity photo's auto lens identification in the Develop Persona has not worked properly with my Sony SLT-A57 camera and Sony DT-18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Lens for some time now, but again it identifies OK in ACDSee.   See

Lens metadata.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

Thanks Greyfox, that is the correct serial number for the lens.  I can only assume that Affinity is using one of the other fields (e.g. Lens ID) then, I hope they can look into it and see if an update is appropriate.

I have just re-opened the file in Affinity, and tried to select the correct Lens Profile and noticed that the Canon 100-400 + 1.4x III isn't a combo that's listed - I'll have to hope that it's added in a future update.

Hello @John Billington and @Greyfox  look at the link below, there's a howto to make your own lensprofile addition.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/330446061/

Hope that helps

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

18 hours ago, Komatös said:

Hello @John Billington and @Greyfox  look at the link below, there's a howto to make your own lensprofile addition.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/330446061/

Hope that helps

Well aware of that, but the Lensfun database that Affinity currently uses has had my Sony Camera and the Sony lens I referred to for several versions now, and it is also quoted correctly in the bar at the top of the screen. It already has all the correction calibration details it needs.

The problem is that the Develop module hasn't got its act together, and fails to auto detect it.  And it's not just that camera/lens combination.

Hi Komatos, thanks for the link.  I have added the latest Lensfun database (slr-canon.xml) but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

Examining the xml file shows that there isn't any correction data in there for the Canon 100-400 EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM + Canon EF 1.4x extender III combination.

In fact there isn't a profile in there for the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM on a full frame Canon, there is only one for a crop sensor Canon.

17 hours ago, John Billington said:

In fact there isn't a profile in there for the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM on a full frame Canon, there is only one for a crop sensor Canon.

In the slr-canon.xml file from the Lensfun 0.3.95 database there is an entry for a EOS 5D MK IV camera with a crop factor of 1 (which AFAIK is full frame)

<camera>
        <maker>Canon</maker>
        <model>Canon EOS 5D Mark IV</model>
        <model lang="en">EOS 5D Mark IV</model>
        <mount>Canon EF</mount>
        <cropfactor>1</cropfactor>
    </camera>

and further down in the file there are lens correction details for an EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM for a crop factor of 1 

The header for it is

<lens>
        <maker>Canon</maker>
        <model>Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM</model>
        <mount>Canon EF</mount>
        <calibration>
            <!-- Taken with Canon 5D Mark III -->

and that is followed by extensive calibration details.

With that file added to Affinity Photo, I can manually select that Lens in the Develop  persona, however it appears to make no difference to the geometry of the image???.

Hi Greyfox, thanks for looking into, however searching through the .xml file the profile you've found above is for the Mark 1 lens not the Mark 2.  It seems that the xml has the following profiles:

For the Mark 1 lens:

<maker>Canon</maker>
<mount>Canon EF</mount>
<!-- Average crop factor of Canon APS-C cameras -->
<cropfactor>1.611</cropfactor>

<maker>Canon</maker>
<mount>Canon EF</mount>

For the Mark 2 lens:

<maker>Canon</maker>
<model>Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM</model>
<mount>Canon EF</mount>
<cropfactor>1.613</cropfactor>

And that's it, so nothing for the Mark 2 lens on a full-frame and nothing for either of them with any extenders (1.4x or 2x).

I'll just have to hope that someone is good enough to add them to the lensfun database.

@John Billington 

If I see it correctly, your lens and the extender are not yet included in the LensFun database. But you can send RAW files to the project and it will create a profile from them.

Please have a look here: https://lensfun.github.io/calibration/