You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

png Exporting from PC to Mac

Hi - I need help creating .png files for a project.

1.  I am doing raw edits in Capture One and exporting to Affinity in a 16 bit Tiff format.  (45 meg raw file).   I pull the background out in Affinity and then create a .png file.  The .png files are 50 Meg in size - and too large to effectively manage.  What is the best way to reduce the file size.  Going to 8 .PNG bit seems to make edges jittery.  

2.  I am working on a PC.  When I send them to someone on a Mac that they open in Adobe Illustrator, they get files that are corrupted - (blacks get turned to grey. - see attached image which is supposed to be a black box.)  I know that exporting from Capture One in sRGB format can help - but that fix isn't working right now.   And a few other settings like hide visible layers seem to affect whether it works or not.  

Thanks for the help.

placed.jpg

1 hour ago, dandev said:

I pull the background out in Affinity and then create a .png file. 

What does "... pull the background out..." actually mean? What steps are you taking and what result do you actually want. I am assuming you are using Photo and neither Designer nor Publisher for this.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

This forum is for all three applications and is quite appropriate for your question. Especially as you promptly answered my questions.

Are you using the default PNG export option in the File > Export... or the Export Persona. You really should be getting the result you want, a full colour image (even if it is mostly black) with a transparent background.

There may be some thing 'off' about the TIFF file (I have no experience using Capture One software) so maybe try saving the file as an Affinity Photo file before exporting.

I am assuming your file has only the one layer, and the alpha layer (in the Channels Panel) is black around the outside (denoting transparent pixels).

You may have to post the file (the TIFF from Capture One) here if there are continuing problems.

It should work as you expect.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I am using file > Export.   

The file has multiple layers - the box layer and mask, sometimes an layer that I did some cloning on - and then a few hidden layers - usually the original background and a fill layer that I used for editing.

When I export - I use File>Export - then click "Don't export layers hidden by Export Persona).  I unclick embed ICC Profile and Embed metadata.  

Would it help to merge visible layers before exporting?

Files attached.  TIFF file is export from Capture One.  

MG9000445.afphoto MG9000445-Tiff Test.tif

I have tried to get a result like yours from the .afphoto file you supplied and I can only approximate it if I have a limited palette chosen in the export More section. Untick the Palattised box.

2039752486_ScreenShot2021-04-16at9_24_21AM.png.289f572d489a9e1ee00f141c47d74409.png

Thanks - I don't have palletized checked.  

Here are three files that  I have delivered to a client - and they can't open them in either InDesign or Illustrator - on a MAC.

I have no issues on my own (PC version) of InDesign or Illustrator so I can't test it.  Argh.  

Test 1.png

Test 2.png

Test 3.png

Edited by dandev
attached images

Probably too large to upload. Here is what I got with no Palattizing (surely that cannot be a word)

MG9000445 not palletized.png.zip

• Staff

Hi @dandev,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

This appears to be a known issue in Adobe apps when trying to import 16bit PNG files on mac - 

https://illustrator.uservoice.com/forums/601447-illustrator-bugs/suggestions/35929054-illustrator-wont-show-correct-color-of-png-importe

I can confirm that I was seeing the same issues with the PNG files you have provided in Illustrator for mac, so I downloaded the .afphoto provided here and then used Document > Convert Format / ICC Profile and changed the document to RGB/8, keeping the Adobe RGB ICC profile.

I then exported this image to PNG using your export settings (Palettised was not required) and this successfully opened for me in Illustrator on mac - 

MG9000445.png

Screenshot 2021-04-17 at 13.20.42.png

I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all, happy to help!

18 hours ago, dandev said:

Is this a new issue?  Any idea if anyone is working on this?

As mentioned above, this appears to be a known issue for Adobe apps on mac - unfortunately I have only just learnt of this issue through Google searches and I did not see any update from the Adobe team regarding this in the the few threads I read, so I would be honestly guessing if I were to provide an answer on behalf of Adobe, my apologies.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!