You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Enlarge Image and Add Vignette

I am fairly new to Affinity Photo, and am trying to resize images to different sizes and aspect ratios. One image is not tall enough, so I need to add a white background that extends above and below, and resize.

I tried to just open the jpg and resize the canvas. This works if I export it with a white background. But I am also trying to add a vignette, and it is only added to the image, not the canvas.

Then I tried to create a new web file with the size I need and place the image inside. But the vignette still only works on the image, not the complete canvas. Also I wasn't sure how to resize the placed image to match the size of the document I created.

I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I haven't figured it out yet.

Thanks.

Hi CaptainCowpie

Welcome to the forums! :)

With regards to inserting an image on the canvas at the size you want it, I would suggest starting a new document (File>New) and specify the size of the canvas, then click File>Place and select your image, just click on the canvas to insert and resize your image.

You can now apply the vignette and this should apply the image entirely, if not feel free to PM me a copy of the document your working with so I can take a closer look. I have also provided a link to another thread here which provides help with the vignette tool, this maybe helpful! :)

Jack

Jack,

Thanks for the reply on this. I appreciate it.

I tried the steps that you had suggested, but I still get the vignette to only cover the image itself, not the entire canvas. I may be doing something incorrectly or missing a step.

I tried to PM you, but don't see a way to send a file. Is there a way to do this?

Does the Vignette Adjustment Layer shown in the video exist? If so that would be extremely useful.

Finally, as per your suggestion I resized the image to enlarge it. I used the transform area in the lower right hand side. Does this use a specific algorithm like when we are resizing a document and are presented choices like Bicubic etc.? I wondered how this would affect image quality.

Thanks again.

I wanted ask about this one more time before I moved on from Affinity Photo. I have researched and watched videos, but I seem to be missing something simple to make the vignette work for me. I would like the vignette to cover the entire canvas, not just an image that I placed inside. Is there some way to "merge" the canvas and image before I apply the vignette so that the vignette covers the entire canvas?

I purchased Affinity Photo because I love Affinity Designer, but also because it gave me the ability to change the shape of the vignette. But if I can't get it to fit the vignette over the entire canvas it will not work for my needs.

I understand vector programs but have limited knowledge on raster programs, hence my not understanding how to proceed.

Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks

• Staff

Hi CaptainCowpie,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To apply the Vignestte to the whole canvas do the following:

Open the image, resize the canvas and fill it with a colour (you must fill the transparent areas of the layer for the filter take them into account);

To do this you can use the Flood Fill Tool to paint directly over the transparent areas then apply the Live Vignette filter or use a Fill Layer from the menu Layer ▸ New Fill Layer, move this layer to the bottom of the Layers panel then select Document ▸ Flatten, then apply the Vignetter Live Filter.