You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Toggle between editing text and editing its text box?

Hey folks!

I'm learning the ropes with Affinity Publisher, but there's one thing that keeps tripping me up.

When I'm editing text, I frequently want to change to moving or editing the text box instead. Hitting 'v' requires me to first move to the mouse and then find somewhere to click off, which doesn't always register, and sometimes draws an unwanted text box. It's a mess.

Firstly I'm used to inkscape, where having the tools mapped to F keys is fantastic because you can hit 'F1' to change to the move tool whether you're editing text or not. I've remapped move to F1 so I can press it when editing text, and that's a great start.

But in (heaven help us) Microsoft Word, there's the ability to toggle between editing text, and editing the text container, by pressing F2. 

It'd be fantastic if this functionality was in Affinity - is it somewhere that I'm missing?
Thanks!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, l.keal.ed. :)

To exit the text editing context in the Affinity apps, press the Escape key.

By the way, it’s not a good idea to use an email address as your username unless you want to attract the attention of spammers. Perhaps a moderator will see this thread and help you to fix that.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Louisk said:

It'd be fantastic if this functionality was in Affinity - is it somewhere that I'm missing?

Hi Louisk, you don't need to press anything if you just want to move or resize the text box. While editing text just move your cursor to the edge of the text box, it changes to the four way arrow so that you can move it, hover over one of the handles until it changes to the two way arrow so that you can resize, then just carry on typing.

Just now, Murfee said:

Hi Louisk, you don't need to press anything if you just want to move or resize the text box. While editing text just move your cursor to the edge of the text box, it changes to the four way arrow so that you can move it, hover over one of the handles until it changes to the two way arrow so that you can resize, then just carry on typing.

Moving the text box.mov 4.41 MB · 0 downloads

Hi Murfee, thanks for the help :) I should have been more specific though - I was looking for a way to do this without reaching for the mouse or having to make precise movements, as I might have to do this several times a minute. But the 'Escape' key does the job meaning I can then use the arrow keys to move the box or the v key to use the mouse to move it again without precise movements being required.