You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil drawing experiment

• Staff

Hi Crabtrem,

I have followed the instructions in your screenshot but I have been unable to replicate this issue. Please could you attach one of the files that is having this issue to this thread so I can investigate this further?

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I was able to post 1 file. I was attempting to load the original file I referenced. Another file that was originally manipulated in afPhoto stable, and also viewed funny in Beta. I also manipulated the successful load in the Beta first and got unsatisfactory results, but I opened it in the stable version and was able to get it to display like a pencil drawing. It is also funny that the preview picture in Finder shows the pencil looking display, but the Beta continue to show a blob black blur version.  

Hopefully this helps, because I sure don't understand it, but I have been able to replicate every time.

Here is the procedure.

I make a copy of background image, CMD J

blend mode to color dodge

invert layer

add gaussian blur, live channel. On same layer by default.

add HSL adj layer and set saturation to minimum.

open the gaussian blue and adjust levels to get display to look like a pencil drawing.

• Staff

Hi Crabtrem,

I've found that dragging the Live Gaussian Blur adjustment out of the stack and then making it a child page of the inverted layer again fixes the issue. It seems to be an issue with how the Beta is opening the inverted layer I will log this internally for further investigation thank you for reporting it to us :) However I am still unable to recreate this at my end  :wacko:

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

I have run through this issue again using your workaround. It works. I will try and explain my process, but I am unclear on the proper terminology, so please forgive that.

If you bring in a file you want to convert to a pencil drawing. Duplicate the photo using Cmd-J.

On the duplicate layer, change the blend mode to Color Dodge, go to layers and invert the layer.

Go to Layers, Live filter layer and add a Gaussian Blur filter. Here is where it get's interesting. If you see the screen shot for the problem layer,  you can see that the Gaussian Blur filter by default is visible on the same layer line when collapsed. This is the vertical line over the thumbnail of the layer, for nesting.

Add the HSL adjustment, it goes on top by default and set your saturation to the left full.

Now you get a blob.

Take the Gaussian blur filter layer out of the nested position and place it when the indented horizontal marker line shows, or as you said it becomes a child of that layer. When collapsed by the other screen shot you can see that the thumbnail doesn't show up on the same line, but there is an arrow showing children under the layer. Now it works.

So the level that the Gaussian blur comes up by default causes an error. I'm not sure what the differences are specifically from putting it on the layer thumbnail (vertical placement marker) versus the indented horizontal layer marker (child of the layer), but in this case it is big. 

Hope this helps, and thanks for the work around.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.