You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Having problems with the Pixel Tool (was: Jamie)

Hope someone can help.

I'm trying to use Affinity Photo for pixel art; using the Pixel Tool. Everything seems great, however, there's one niggle; when I press the mouse button, nothing appears on the canvas until I start moving the mouse. I would like to have a pixel appear as soon as I press the mouse button down (i.e. before moving / dragging mouse about). Is that possible?

I'm on a M1 Mac, using latest version of Affinity Photo.

Thanks.

Try creating a pixel layer prior to using the pixel brush, when you first use the pixel brush and there is no pixel layer present in the layers panel, the brush will not show the colour of that brush and on first click it will initiate the creation of a pixel layer, from there it will display the brush colour and painting can be seen and previewed prior to filling a pixel block. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you all. I tried the suggested method; and it's still doing the same thing. When I press and hold the mouse button (with Pixel Tool selected), nothing happens until I actually move the mouse. Please see following video:

I've zoomed in so you can see the pixels; while I am not pressing the mouse button, the pixel brush is visible; as I press the mouse button (but before I move the mouse) it disappears, finally as I move the mouse, I can see the pixels being placed. In the video, the vertical (green) line I make while moving the mouse; so there is no extended period of time where I have the mouse button pressed but not moving the mouse.

Is this something that happens for everyone, or is there a problem with my install / setup?

Thanks.

Edited by mrqwak

Unless I’m not seeing what’s wrong – and apart from the fact that your ‘mouse pointer’ is a circle whereas mine is a square (for whatever reason) – I think yours is working like mine and they’re both working as I would expect.
Maybe someone else has better advice as I’m not a regular user of the Pixel Tool.

I think I get where mrqwak is coming from. On Mac there is the preview rectangle and the pixel shows in the colour selected, If you Click the mouse button down and hold without moving the mouse the preview colour vanishes until you ever so slightly move the mouse and then the first pixel is placed in the nearest pixel space. It's akin to a slight lag, you wouldn't notice it but once seen can be seen all the time.

Something else I've just noticed, if you hover over a pixel space but don't click down, the preview colour blinks out.

Adobe Photoshop doesn't do this, as soon as you click the pixel is shown in the nearest pixel space.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

5 hours ago, firstdefence said:

I think I get where mrqwak is coming from. On Mac there is the preview rectangle and the pixel shows in the colour selected, If you Click the mouse button down and hold without moving the mouse the preview colour vanishes until you ever so slightly move the mouse and then the first pixel is placed in the nearest pixel space. It's akin to a slight lag, you wouldn't notice it but once seen can be seen all the time.

Something else I've just noticed, if you hover over a pixel space but don't click down, the preview colour blinks out.

Adobe Photoshop doesn't do this, as soon as you click the pixel is shown in the nearest pixel space.

I feel for pixel art it's quite off-putting (to the extent, where I'd use another app for pixel art).

I imagine most graphic applications aimed at pixel art would instantly update the pixel space, as soon as you press down on the mouse (without waiting for the mouse to move before updating). Assuming, this is just how the development team have coded Affinity Photo, what's the best way to raise this as an issue for review (and hopefully a 'fix' in a future version)?

Thanks.

Edited by mrqwak

I would create a post in the bugs forum not feature requests as you are more likely to get it looked at there

Besides, it definitely seems wrong when compared to my Windows version of the tool

When creating the bug report add a link to this thread so they have all the current information & videos

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.