You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Save failed because the file could not be written to

kazusak7

After upgrading to 1.9.0, I am not able to save any of my work when the work has inserted files that are made with the previous version.

I get a message "Save failed because the file could not be written to". no matter where ever I save. (local or cloud)

Please advise.

thank you.

• Staff

Hi kazusak7,

Is this definitely restricted to happen only when you insert files made with the previous version at all? If so would you be able to get a screen recording showing the steps you're taking to reproduce and attach any files you're using to reproduce please? 

I've just tried this myself (placing a 1.8.6 file in 1.9.0) and can save without an issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Sean P,

I have also, just this moment, come across the very same issue. I tried to move all the elements from the original file (which was created pre update) to a fresh file but to no luck; the issue followed me over to the new location. Trying to isolate the issue, I began deleting different element until I discovered that the cause of the issue lied with the images that had been imported through the in-built 'Stock' tool. Removing them, I was able to fix the issue.

Edit: I should also add, this only happened after I copied the original file to a new location, changed its name, and then tried to save changes to that new file. Going back to the old file, I am able to save change it it without issue.

Hopefully this help fix the bug.

All the best,

Triston

Edited by Blacwell
Added greater context.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a similar error trying to save a project in Publisher. I have been working on the file for several days and saving regularly until this afternoon when I get these  errors on attempting save the file or 'save as' a copy. Since the file was last saved successfully I have introduced only one image edited and saved in Photo and one artboard created and saved in Designer. All my apps are V1.9.1. I'm using MacOS 11.2.3

However, there is one strange thing happening. I have noticed that I can scroll infinitely in all directions instead of the customary limit of 400mm in each direction.I'm not sure what this means but I think it may have a bearing on this problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 17.19.29.png

Screenshot 2021-03-17 at 17.18.15.png

Edited by arjay0249

• 2 weeks later...

I have similar problems. I have Affinity Designer 1.9.1. Mac mini M1 and Big Sur. This Failed to save document.... Save failed because the file could not be written to. It is REALLY annoying. Especially because there looks not to be any logic with this issue. It happens time by time. And the files are created with this same 1.9.1.and same Mac, same OS. I even checked all ongoing processes and it is not a memory issue. It's a pity because I need to try to work using AD. Waste of time. 
So far I have done so that exporting as pdf, closing Affinity completely, then opening that pdf with AD, and then saving as affinity document. Then it works, but I have no idea why. And these are not even large files to same. Anxious to get rid of that bug. Earlier I was using my Mac Book Pro Mid -12 without any similar problems with AD.