You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mac Publisher: can't select items with arrow tool

this is sporadic. neither clicking on, marquiing through or around will select, say, a box. But selecting in the layer studio works.

why can't these selection methods just work? I obliterates workflow and confidence in the tool when sometimes you can select..sometimes you can't. I see no pattern that would explain it.

Are the layers you are trying to select, but can’t, on a Master Page?
I think you can only select certain types of layer (e.g. Artistic Text) from a master page – via the canvas – while you are editing a ‘normal’ page.
I believe this is expected behaviour to make it easier to not accidentally select layers which you don’t normally want to change.

Also check you have not accidentally switched off "Edit all Layers". That one still catches me out occasionally.

It really needs to be highlighted (a lot) better on the light interface

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

14 hours ago, GarryP said:

Are the layers you are trying to select, but can’t, on a Master Page?
I think you can only select certain types of layer (e.g. Artistic Text) from a master page – via the canvas – while you are editing a ‘normal’ page.
I believe this is expected behaviour to make it easier to not accidentally select layers which you don’t normally want to change.

No. In the document in question, the master page contains nothing at all.

14 hours ago, carl123 said:

Also check you have not accidentally switched off "Edit all Layers". That one still catches me out occasionally.

It really needs to be highlighted (a lot) better on the light interface

where is "Edit all layers" located? Doesn't seem to be on the Layers pallet. While I was working with this particular item, I had just selected and moved it mere seconds earlier, and in the intervening time made no changes to the layer such as lock, or to is parent; I was in the heat of actually moving items on my layout.