You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Lag with NVIDIA Driver 461.40

@PhatMonkey: My monitor is not capable of VSync but i normally have VSync in the GPU driver settings globally enabled so i do not need to set it for each game/application individually. Before i used "on", now i use "fast". Aside from the browser, there are no issues with that wether in fullscreen nor in window or windowed mode. However, as explained before, this does not affect the issues with the Affinity applications in any way on my end.

Speaking of it, i found another display glitch which is standing since i use Affinity (not sure, but i guess i started around 1.5): In this example, i just opened a wallpaper for my new mobile phone and resized it a bit in Affinity Photo. As you can clearly see, there is a bright line on the left side of the image which does not really exist but is just a rendering artifact. When you zoom in a bit, it dissappears. When zooming back out, it re-appears. This happens under many different conditions and should be easy to reproduce. Screenshot below.

Affinity Photo.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, LinguaOccultus said:

Update: The new NVidia hotfix driver version 461.81 had two promising changelog entries (https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5168?linkId=100000034928969) but no changes at all. I am more and more convinced this is not driver related.

I can confirm the problem remains and there might be something in your post that I can back up, I loaded up Cubase 11 a music production software that I was having the mouse lag stutters in and the stutters are now gone. I then loaded up Affinity Photo / Designer and the mouse lag stutter remains.

UPDATE: I take it back, Cubase is lagging again lol, seems it must be a driver issue

Sure, there still is a chance all those issues are related to the GPU drivers, another driver, Windows itself or whatever exotic context else might be hidden behind it. But since those issues on my end ONLY appear in the Affinity applications and my systems other applications, games and what not are running completely fine, it is relatively low. On top of that, Affinity applications are quite new and therefore there are issues or at least things are not working perfectly by now. And also, this issues were not there from the beginning.

That said, i will update this thread when new application or driver versions are appearing or i maybe even find the cause and/or a solution to one of the issue.

Still trying to somehow make a record of the delayed rendering or update in the main view of a document but failed by now. Maybe the delay cannot be recorded because of its nature; i don't know.

I am also working with the NVidia support now but to this day they only send me general advice and very basic troubleshooting steps which did not change anything – which is not a big surprise. At least they confirmed so far that no issues with the drivers, which may cause behaviour like this in any application, is currently known (which still leaves a chance this is a new and unknown issue, of course). Anyway, i stay with them and i am awaiting their next reply currently ...

43 minutes ago, LinguaOccultus said:

Sure, there still is a chance all those issues are related to the GPU drivers, another driver, Windows itself or whatever exotic context else might be hidden behind it. But since those issues on my end ONLY appear in the Affinity applications and my systems other applications, games and what not are running completely fine, it is relatively low. On top of that, Affinity applications are quite new and therefore there are issues or at least things are not working perfectly by now. And also, this issues were not there from the beginning.

That said, i will update this thread when new application or driver versions are appearing or i maybe even find the cause and/or a solution to one of the issue.

Still trying to somehow make a record of the delayed rendering or update in the main view of a document but failed by now. Maybe the delay cannot be recorded because of its nature; i don't know.

I am also working with the NVidia support now but to this day they only send me general advice and very basic troubleshooting steps which did not change anything – which is not a big surprise. At least they confirmed so far that no issues with the drivers, which may cause behaviour like this in any application, is currently known (which still leaves a chance this is a new and unknown issue, of course). Anyway, i stay with them and i am awaiting their next reply currently ...

Try recording with your phone, it's not ideal, but at least we'll get an idea of what you're seeing (with regards to the lag).

Thanks for the idea, Mark, but i tried that already and it did not work also.

To remember: the issue in this case is, that when i edit the image in Affinity Photo – for example applying a filter or altering britghtness or whatever – i see the results partially seconds later only. However, this only affects the main view where the image is open; the navigator panel, which also shows the image and the results, shows them immediately like before. OpenCL on or off makes no difference and it was already an issue before 1.9. Together with the other three issues mentioned here and PhatMonkeys, it seems there are general issues with rendering currently. The question is, what is causing it – application, driver, etc. I tried around a lot but nothing affects it. And it only happens in Affinity appications.

52 minutes ago, LinguaOccultus said:

Thanks for the idea, Mark, but i tried that already and it did not work also.

To remember: the issue in this case is, that when i edit the image in Affinity Photo – for example applying a filter or altering britghtness or whatever – i see the results partially seconds later only. However, this only affects the main view where the image is open; the navigator panel, which also shows the image and the results, shows them immediately like before. OpenCL on or off makes no difference and it was already an issue before 1.9. Together with the other three issues mentioned here and PhatMonkeys, it seems there are general issues with rendering currently. The question is, what is causing it – application, driver, etc. I tried around a lot but nothing affects it. And it only happens in Affinity appications.

I'm still not understanding what kind of delay you're talking about here, it almost sounds like a slight delay in rendering the document, which can be expected, depending on the complexity of the document? Any video you can provide showing this would be great, so we can understand what it is you're describing.

Simple example: I open an empty, new document in Affinity Photo; A4 size (or whatever else). I do SOMETHING with it like placing an (simple, small) image and then adding a filter; whatever i do will work. You expect then to see the editing immediately on the image like before. But currently, i have to wait several seconds to see the effect of an filter or other editings of the image ON the image. Simple as that. This is no issues of a very large image delaying everything or a low end system (at least Ryzen 5 3600, 6 cores, 12 threads, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, SSD).

Of course i can record this, but the delay is not clearly visible or better understandable from the record. However, as i said, still trying. I have shown examples of at least three other rendering issues in this thread, also.

• 2 weeks later...

The new driver is out today and it makes the problems we all had 30 times worse hahahahha.... not funny I know, I have now decided to try the reg fix suggested by Manuel from NVIDIA which disables multiplane overlay that is meant to address the flickering but for me it has also fixed the mouse stutter lag. This fix was meant to be in the new driver out today 461.92 but is obviously not. https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/track/AvNKvQrCDv8S~dEtGs4e~yJl4uEqeC75Mv_e~zj~PP9X

On my side i finished troubleshooting with NVidia which was as expected, just the commonly known "re-install", "clean install", "change this", "do that" picking around and in the end the wether could confirm nor disproof the issues i explained here. ^^

Have not seen the new driver version but will look and test later and report my findings ... thanks for the informations! 😃

On 3/8/2021 at 10:43 AM, LinguaOccultus said:

Simple example: I open an empty, new document in Affinity Photo; A4 size (or whatever else). I do SOMETHING with it like placing an (simple, small) image and then adding a filter; whatever i do will work. You expect then to see the editing immediately on the image like before. But currently, i have to wait several seconds to see the effect of an filter or other editings of the image ON the image. Simple as that. This is no issues of a very large image delaying everything or a low end system (at least Ryzen 5 3600, 6 cores, 12 threads, 16 GB DDR4 3200 RAM, SSD).

Of course i can record this, but the delay is not clearly visible or better understandable from the record. However, as i said, still trying. I have shown examples of at least three other rendering issues in this thread, also.

Just a reminder, it would be great to see a video of the delay in action, as I can't investigate anything here without knowing what I'm looking for, and I can't report the issue to NVIDIA either for the same reason.

On 3/17/2021 at 3:02 PM, Mark Ingram said:

Just a reminder, it would be great to see a video of the delay in action, as I can't investigate anything here without knowing what I'm looking for, and I can't report the issue to NVIDIA either for the same reason.

I tried around a lot, even using a smartphone camera, but the results are still not visible in the videos. I have no idea at the moment, how to record this.

I will stop posting updates here now since this seems to lead nowhere as all the reported issues now are month old and persistent for so many different driver/application versions. If something changes, i will report it or open a new own thread later.

38 minutes ago, LinguaOccultus said:

I tried around a lot, even using a smartphone camera, but the results are still not visible in the videos. I have no idea at the moment, how to record this.

I will stop posting updates here now since this seems to lead nowhere as all the reported issues now are month old and persistent for so many different driver/application versions. If something changes, i will report it or open a new own thread later.

Hi dude, best way to record is via your nvidia card, install GeForce Experience, then enable in game overlay, then in the same box click settings, scroll all the way down and enable desktop capture. F9 should toggle recording on and off, other settings you may consider in the settings tab, Recordings = Where the video will be saved, also if u click Settings then click DONE, you will still see an overlay with extra settings, click Record, then settings, u will now have options to tweak for best quality.

1 hour ago, LinguaOccultus said:

I realise this must be frustrating, but with no way of seeing or reproducing a potential bug here, there really is nothing we can do about it. I hope you understand.

Try @PhatMonkey's suggestion and see if that produces anything that shows the issue.

I made a video with my the most awesome phone so the quality is definitely not there. However you can clearly see how the mouse cursor becomes choppy when I move the image (this is the easiest way of reproducing the problem, it does happen with filters and adjustments as well).

I can confirm two things:

• disabling GSYNC from the driver is a working workaround for this problem
  • https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/track/AvNKvQrCDv8S~dEtGs4e~yJl4uEqeC75Mv_e~zj~PP9X is also a working workaround for this problem (GSYNC does not need to be disabled if you use this)

I hope this helps you tracking down the issue with NVIDIA.

aphoto_lag.mkv

Just tested 1.9.2.1035 and finally had some luck recording the delay. In the GIF below you see a newly created and blank document while i selected the brush tool and only move it around. As you also can see bottom left, the navigator view is "jumping" instead of providing a proper and fluid live preview. This was no the case in prior Photo versions; just to remember. It seems, the other view is only updated when the cursor is not moving which makes "live" preview quite pointless ... ;-)

What seems to be gone now is the "blinking" brush tool tip preview as shown in a prio GIF some postings above. So there WAS (or IS) an issue here which is directly connected to the application itself since NOTHING else as the application version was changed this time (aside the minor Windows updates which came out meanwhile maybe – but i doubt this affected the situation in any kind since there was nothing even close in the changelogs).

This is not exactly what i meant since until now the navigator panel was fluent while the main view (document area) was delayed and it mostly happened when using filters and such, but it is a first step. I will further investigate since there is a new NVidia driver out today (465.89) also. Maybe i also found something here also, but i still have to confirm ...

Photo Delay.gif

FINALLY i had luck recording "my" kind of "delay"! 😃

This time i just used some default Windows 10 backgrounds found in "C:\Windows\Web\4K\Wallpaper\Windows" (does not matter which on). First test failed again since it not happens EACH time and i do not know WHEN it does. WHEN it happened, it does NOT again when repeating (caching maybe?).

So it just opened another one and just clicked on "Auto Tone Correction" (hope this is translated correctly from German). You can clearly see how the navigator panel bottem left immediately shows the result while in the main document view, nothing happens at all for many seconds. Only when i moved the mouse, it at least appeared there also. Maybe it is linked to mouse movement to force an rendering update as in the other case above? Need to test further, but here it is in all its "glory" finally. Remember: this ONLY happens in Affinity applications as all the other strange visual glitches i reported in this thread (aside the single one with VSync and the browser).

Still missing the cause and this was NOT the case when i started with Affinity applications (i hope i remeber correctly that i bought all three with 1.5).

I am also testing some suspicion with driver settings, but i am not sure by now; will report later ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone confirm that the flickering of the borders of – for example – text boxes in Publisher ist "normal" behavior? So, it is just hiding them when scrolling which causes this annoying "flicker"? If so, i would like a "show box borders while scrolling" option! 😃

Photo Delay.gif

On 3/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, Mark Ingram said:

I realise this must be frustrating, but with no way of seeing or reproducing a potential bug here, there really is nothing we can do about it. I hope you understand.

Try @PhatMonkey's suggestion and see if that produces anything that shows the issue.

Did serif test team tested product with G-Sync enabled monitors?

The latest driver  466.11 WHQL seems to mostly fix the lagging issue for me. The cursor still stutters for maybe around half a second or less after moving the image around, but when changing sliders and so on the effect is quite minimal or even unnoticeable. It is not the best fix ever, but it is still in the right direction at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe my guess that this is a NVidia/Windows driver/update issue or even an incompatibility, which is at least involved, is not that wrong at all. After several hotfixes and issue reports in the tech news on NVidia drivers and Windows updates related to rendering/VSync/display related stuff, currently Microsoft and NVidia recommend again to uninstall current updates KB5001330 and/or KB5001337 for issues with some systems (see Google for details, for example: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/latest-windows-10-updates-may-torpedo-frame-rates-cause-screen-stutters-for-gamers). This is mostly related to gaming, but since rendering of applications with hardware support is at least close to that, this might affect us alike. Also, this hardens the guess, that the Affinity applications are affected from OS/GPU side and may be not the cause of all this; or at least not alone.

Maybe this information is helpful somehow to track this further down ...

9 hours ago, LinguaOccultus said:

Maybe this information is helpful somehow to track this further down ...

Those updates have affected my system in no way and probably aren't the cause of the issue. I already confirmed in this thread with my testing that disabling MPO (multiplane overlay) or disabling G-sync from the drivers works as a valid fix, and you only need either one of them. The issue started with NVIDIA driver 461.09 back in early february while these windows updates are dated early april.