You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scans from Canon scanner turn unusal colours.

Hello Affinity Photo Users, has anyone had this really odd behaviour when opening scans?

As all things in life, I was going along fine and dandy scanning some CD artwork for Discogs, when I get this really odd shift colour.

Any ideas?

Using an iMac, High Sierra, Canon is a Pixma MG5, using inbuilt Image Capture on iMac.

Latest Affinity app, 1.8.6

regards

Bryan304219641_ScreenShot2021-01-24at1_10_43pm.jpg.a7cf7c083df90ba1080fe695b238fd86.jpg1844886114_ScreenShot2021-01-24at1_06_44pm.jpg.c0653a85ed50fc3d6dcba2e53028dc49.jpg

• Staff

Hi @Bryanoz and Welcome to the Forums,

Can't say i've ran into this issue with the limited scanning i've done.  

Could possibly be a colour profile issue.  Do you get the same results if you scan outside of Affinity and then bring the scanned image into Affinity?

Hi Guys

thank you so much for your feedback, sorry to not get back sooner, I had to 'Register' for the forums and that took a while.

Ok some very simple troubleshooting:

It's in the scanning, as I opened a couple of scans with Preview (iMac) and they all had this really odd colour shift.

Check my attachment, really odd, what have I done? 😩

The back of a photo I was going to tackle restoring, new learning curve as I don't use Photoshop anymore.

but, I need to get a decent scan first.

ideas?

Contact Canon?

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 6.04.55 pm.jpg

• 3 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread but may I ask what you meant by "straight scan"? I am having similar issues with my MG7550 scanner. My friend draws a lot of pictures and asks me to scan them so she can print them out to make cards but the colours always look wrong. I have tried different scanning resolutions and editing them in Photoshop Elements but when I print them, they either come out too bright (third picture labelled BlackCatEdited) or they just look duller like they have a filter on like with the unedited, scanned image 0002.jpg. The first picture (100449.jpg) is one I took with my phone and much more shows what the image is like in real life.

Please can anyone advise me how to resolve this or do I just need a better scanner/printer or calibration of some kind. Thanks.

20240408_100449.jpg

IMG_20240408_0002.jpg

BlackCatEdited.jpg

1 hour ago, AfxTwn said:

and editing them in Photoshop Elements

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @AfxTwn

As you mentioned Photoshop Elements, I'm curious if you're also a user of the Affinity software, as this forum is solely for supporting the Affinity software and its users. If you have general questions about using your scanner, or using other (non-Affinity) programs with it, this is not the right site for that discussion.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1