You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher] Manual two-side printing on MacOS

37 minutes ago, thomaso said:

The print dialog > range options "odd" & "even" might help to print the entire document split in two runs.

1020605525_printoptionoddeven.jpg.bd6d60e0f77497e7d58ee8afa2667f47.jpg

Well, that's obvious, but I had a hope that Publisher might have a bit more options for that...

Mostly like keeping printing preferences. When you print for the second time you should remember all preferences you did and restore them exactly the same. And turning the paper didn't work for me, because there's always something wrong with pages order.

I remember old version of Microsoft office (Windows) where was a special manual print option, and that was big advantage because you could control all over the whole process.

For best print control export to PDF and print via Acrobat Reader and its advanced printing options.
(Downside: installing Acrobat Reader also spills all the Adobe Cloud rubbish all over the place. :/)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

4 minutes ago, loukash said:

For best print control export to PDF and print via Acrobat Reader and its advanced printing options.
(Downside: installing Acrobat Reader also spills all the Adobe Cloud rubbish all over the place. :/)

I have Adobe Acrobat Reader DC installed and it has nothing about two-sided printing, unfortunately.

Снимок экрана 2021-01-23 в 19.12.20.png

2 minutes ago, EEvgeniy said:

it has nothing about two-sided printing

Acrobat should be showing you all possible options your printer can handle.
As usual, if everything else fails, click the "Spravka" link in the top right corner of the Print dialog for, uh… help.
But as already noted, at the end of the day you will likely have to turn the paper all by yourself… ;)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

6 minutes ago, loukash said:

Acrobat should be showing you all possible options your printer can handle.

I already mentioned that my printer can not handle with automatic two-sided printer as well as  that the question was not about turning paper.

I did some research and I would probably fix the issue when having wrong flip-side pages by using straight and reversed for odd and even pages, but I would really appreciate if Publisher will do all settings for me and just give me a sign that I need to turn the paper. That's what I'm saying.

Sorry, but I don't see the problem.

That said, while trying a few scenarios printing (to PDF) straight out of Publisher…

Bug alert!

Trying to print a simple 4-page booklet:

print_booklet_1.png.5a2f7beabd1824051af98589af2dce47.png

Set Booklet.
(The Publisher layout pages are A4, hence "red alert" in Print dialog, we'll fix it in next step):

print_booklet_2.png.897d805858262ebf5a2c4604d4fbbb12.png

Fit to Printable to the rescue:

print_booklet_3.png.f51e8010f4ef7a76ef4517ba3f361b23.png

The bug ("feature"?):

Choosing "Odd pages" won't do anything in this case, as it apparently only affects the "real" pages on your layout, not the imposed pages. It still shows "1 of 2" here, and will print both pages:

print_booklet_4.png.c24fa6239f5e36f13dce60d212f4d930.png

Workaround:

Use the standard MacOS option Paper Handling > Pages to Print > Odd/Even Only instead to print just "1 of 1" from my imposed booklet example.
Print Odd Only:

print_booklet_5.png.cbba41baef69f510d7404e998ea3d49a.png

Print Even Only:

print_booklet_6.png.41527fa05c99351e46da466fec7dfe49.png

Edited by loukash
forgot "even only" screenshot…

8 hours ago, EEvgeniy said:

keeping printing preferences. When you print for the second time you should remember all preferences you did and restore them exactly the same.

That's a MacOS job, not Affinity's or any other app.

Use the Presets popup menu in the Print dialog to save whatever settings you need.
If you ever need to transfer them to another user account or another Mac, they are stored here:
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompresets.plist
… or, if you're saving printer specific presets:
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.print.custompresets.forprinter.YOUR_PRINTER_NAME.plist