You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Named Swatches should be copied to new document with the object they are assigned to

I find it absolutely unnerving that when I copy an object that has been assigned the global colour à la "My Super Red" to a new document this color ist obviously lost as its occurence in the colour palette(s) is concerned.While the object seems to (visually) retain the colour assigned in the source document the corresponding swatch won't turn up in the palette(s) of the target document.

Having worked in Illustrator or InDesign for years it just seemed so natural that objects sort of carry their colours' names with them as they are copied to other documents. This should be possible in Designer or Publisher as well. If refreshing the palette(s) should be required to have them listed so be it...

Also something like "Add used" or "Delete unused" regarding to colour swatches should be added as it is so very helpful to streamline the colour palettes within a given document to show just ALL colours that are actually (globally) used and show ONLY the colours used in that document to have it all nice and tidy.

31 minutes ago, Lorox said:

Having worked in Illustrator or InDesign for years it just seemed so natural that objects sort of carry their colours' names with them as they are copied to other documents.

Well, somewhat agreed, but at times it was also pretty annoying having to delete redundant swatches that got copied over every time.

33 minutes ago, Lorox said:

This should be possible in Designer or Publisher as well

I guess for now we'll have to adapt to Serif's concept of:

1. document palettes
  2. application palettes
  3. MacOS global palettes

I, for one, am enjoying option #3 in particular!

37 minutes ago, Lorox said:

something like "Add used"

Swatches palette menu > Create Palette From Document > As […] Palette

So the workaround would be creating a temporary application or global palette to use identical swatches between documents.

38 minutes ago, Lorox said:

"Delete unused"

That would be useful!

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Also needed: option to replace a swatch you're deleting with an existing swatch. Something I've been using in InDesign very often.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

44 minutes ago, loukash said:
  1. MacOS global palettes

I, for one, am enjoying option #3 in particular!

However, only a Document Palette can hold a Global Color definition in Affinity.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Lorox said:

it just seemed so natural that objects sort of carry their colours' names with them as they are copied to other documents. This should be possible in Designer or Publisher as well. If refreshing the palette(s) should be required to have them listed so be it...

For Global Colors you need to use a Document Palette in Affinity.

If you have two documents, each with a Document Palette, you can copy an object from document 1 to document 2. If it has a Global Color assigned, you can then add its fill to the Document Palette in document 2, and it will maintain the same color name.

(Or, if that color is already defined by name as a global color, the newly copied object will still have a global color in document 2 automatically.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

only a Document Palette can hold a Global Color definition in Affinity

Yeah, in the meantime I've noticed that, too.
And eagerly waiting for v1.9 and its "select same fill" anyway…