You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Transform panel and type

Hi,

I don't know if this is a bug or "feature", but if you want to scale say a logo with some accompanying type, if you use the Transform Panel to scale the artwork (Grouping the two items) with the constraint selected and put in the size you want, the graphic scales correctly, but the type stays the same size although the bounding box is resized.

In Illustrator there is a dedicated scale tool which can scale any object by a percentage with the option to scale corners and strokes by the same amount as well. The transform tool works as well if you want to scale to a specific size.

Designer needs a dedicated scale tool that works on all objects, the inclusion would be a game changer for me and I expect many others who use this app.

I'm using the latest version 1.8.6, and it still the same in the latest Beta 1.9.0.15.☹️

On 1/15/2021 at 1:27 PM, StevieB said:

but the type stays the same size although the bounding box is resized.

Hello @StevieB,

make sure you are using the Artistic Text Tool in contrary to the Frame Text Tool. The behave differently if resized.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

On 1/16/2021 at 2:31 PM, dominik said:

Hello @StevieB,

make sure you are using the Artistic Text Tool in contrary to the Frame Text Tool. The behave differently if resized.

d.

Thanks @dominikfor the info, I'll know next time to use the Artistic Text Tool, although it might be a bit awkward if you have a block of type to resize!

Cheers, Steve.

I don't know if this is a bug or "feature"

The latter. :)

37 minutes ago, StevieB said:

it might be a bit awkward if you have a block of type to resize

You can also use guides or grid with Snapping, and then using the resize handle with Shift key instead of the Transform panel. (As a side note: I definitely find the Designer Transform panel less awkward and more predictable than the corresponding panel in AI CS5… ;) )

Designer needs a dedicated scale tool that works on all objects, the inclusion would be a game changer for me and I expect many others who use this app.

You have the scale handle with modifier keys, which is universal for every selection and highly versatile. Is there anything that it can't do what the AI scale tool can? (That's a serious question as I don't remember off the top of my head.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2