You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

everythime I do export to pdf, I get an error. "an error occured while exporting to". At first I thought it had to do with some preflight errors, but I took out all images that had an error.

I found on this forum the hint to set the text 'to curves' in the 'more options' while exporting and that seemed to work, but not with good quality.

The only thing that is still red in the preflight is 1 missing font, which is supposedly on the Master page, but I can't find it. When I double-click on the error of the missing font, it doesn't show up in the font manager.

Could this missing font (ciutadella) be the error? or something else...

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

If that font is missing I'm not sure it could cause the problem.

There's a FAQ about enabling logging for PDF export. Perhaps if you do that you'll find something informative in the log:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, marc V.O. said:

The only thing that is still red in the preflight is 1 missing font, which is supposedly on the Master page, but I can't find it. When I double-click on the error of the missing font, it doesn't show up in the font manager.

The key is to search for it using the Format option in the Find and replace panel. It could well be Artistic text that has only a space or a tab character. It could be a paragraph return in the font. For the replacement font choose one you have that is easy to find and just do a search for it.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for all your help

I've ran the PDF logging and at the bottom of the file I was able to understand what caused the problem. It was a JPG and when I've deleted it, PDF was fine.

With respect to that missing font. Preflight says that I'm missing a Ciutadella font in the master page. With the Find and replace panel I can't select that font, because it's not in the list.

My Master page is almost empty, and even when I make it empty, that missingfont error is still in the preflight. It doesn't harm apparently, just annoying that I don't have a clean preflight check.

22 minutes ago, marc V.O. said:

My Master page is almost empty, and even when I make it empty, that missingfont error is still in the preflight. It doesn't harm apparently, just annoying that I don't have a clean preflight check.

I would suggest deleting it entirely and making a new one.

To be clear I use the search and replace by hitting the little cog  wheel in the find section and choosing Format

1339468472_ScreenShot2020-12-13at9_43_23AM.png.9efc601b90b0e0d6ea31829700894a62.png

Then I set up the dialog box as follows.

354562741_ScreenShot2020-12-13at9_43_08AM.thumb.png.66004700ab7efbc86e415563d88d99a4.png

If you are not seeing the font (or any fonts) in the Missing Fonts then the problem is harder to solve and we'd need to see the document, or a striped down version of it.

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

Dear Bruce, thanks for your help. It certainly helped me in understanding the software better. Unfortunately this didn't solve the problem.

So I started deleting pages until the error was resolved. It turned out to be a PDF that was included that had that unknown font. Still strange that the preflight tought it was on the master, but anyway - problem solved!

As I'm a newbie, I hope that I can count on your (and other forum members') help in future!

regards

Marc

18 hours ago, marc V.O. said:

Still strange that the preflight tought it was on the master, ...

That is odd, something to remember. Perhaps Find and replace cannot search for fonts in PDFs if the font is not available.