You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Looking to Increase CPU usage capabilities of Affinity Photo

See Attached.

Basically at most on average, 15-25% of the cpu is "usage" for this.

Ryzen 3700x (no overclock), water cooling. Doesn't go above 60 celcius.

64gb ddr4

M.2 PCI-E 4.0 - Force MP600 1tb, (spikes to 1.7gigabyte usage in render cache sometimes)

However cpu's, except for core 14/15 (15th and 16th core), the rest are minimal at best.

Unless I snag an app that helps to force core usage and focus, Affinity photo never truly "maxes out" cpu performance capabilities.

I'm literally limited by the application rather then the cpu opportunity. 

I'm debating upgrading to 128gb ddr4 in feb/march potentially, but even then I'm not expecting much more on the cpu usage specs of requesting the app up to 90-96gb ram usage cap.

I'd like to modify or adjust a preference setting to the cpu on affinity photo so it can properly utilize the cpu's to their near max as i've seen with simple programs like "prime 95" etc...

Also i'm even trying to render gigapixel or higher panorama's and it still doesn't crunch the pc.

Happy to try various idea's and methods, just trying to increase speed and efficiency of the application and solutions.

Thanks for review,

Gigapixel Render Sample of Task Manager.JPG

The CPU usage for each function depends on how each bit of functionality has been coded and there’s nothing we as users can do about that.
I think part of the complication of getting the most out of multi-core machines across the Affinity range may be due to the need to have the same (or pretty much the same) code running on three different operating systems, Windows, OS X and iOS, and they will all have their own ways of doing concurrent processing which may not be easily transferable to the others.
The developers are improving the software continually so CPU utilisation may be increased in the future but some functions may not be easily improvable simply because of what they do and how they do it.

More curious if anyone has any work arounds, concepts, basically anything that'll force an approach pro/con of my own volunteering to test and elaborate of my own interests, so I can truly push my system to truly be utilized when working on my art/photography. Amature or otherwise. 

If anyone has some suggestions, greatly appreciated.

I’m not entirely sure what you want to do.

As far as I know there are no general ways for us to optimise/enhance how the software works; it just does what it does.
You can switch Hardware Acceleration on but that doesn’t use the CPU any differently, it just makes the software use the GPU more.
There may be ways to make certain functions work a bit faster – e.g. using better equations in Procedural Textures – but these would be very specific to those functions and we, as users, have no way of changing how those functionalities work at a base/code level.
As I said above, the code works the way it works and if that code doesn’t use multi-core CPUs as efficiently as possible – for whatever reasons – then there’s not much that we, as users, can do about it.

Never actually noticed a difference when trying this, several years ago, (Not tried on Affinity apps) but you can give it a go and see what happens...

How to Change Process Priority in Windows 10

Letting us know your results, would be nice

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

8 hours ago, carl123 said:

Never actually noticed a difference when trying this, several years ago, (Not tried on Affinity apps) but you can give it a go and see what happens...

How to Change Process Priority in Windows 10

Letting us know your results, would be nice

I have tried this method of course, and I appreciate it. Plus performance mode for battery/power settings as well. Including performance features on the drive('s) stand alone in addition to several other methods. 

I've done core affinity fixes for some games (gta4/5 for the stuttering glitch rare). But my focus is to force this onto all cores/threads of the cpu at minimum if at all possible.

Essentially, if anyone happens to be more IT expert then most, i'm seeking even some out of the box concepts as well. As I can utilize full cpu in games easily or other solutions I apoach. Especially video editing on that method of basic to full apps. But i've never seen affinity genuinely use the full cpu beyond 25% overall, which I think is odd.

(to clarify 25% as a total %)