You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Switching Between Develop and Photo Personas

I understand that when in the Develop Persona my photo image is in 32 bit and when I switch from the Develop Persona to the Photo Persona my image changes from 32 bit to 16 bit.  My question is when I then switch back again to the Develop Persona does my image switch back to 32 bit or does it stay 16 bit?

• Staff

Hi @Alann,

Welcome to the forums :)

2 hours ago, Alann said:

My question is when I then switch back again to the Develop Persona does my image switch back to 32 bit or does it stay 16 bit?

Once the image has been developed into 16bit, then opened again in the Develop Persona it will retain the image at 16bit and will not re-convert it to 32bit.

However, if you wish you can change the RAW output from the Develop Persona from 16bit to 32bit, so that when you develop it (or subsequently return to the develop persona) your image will still be 32bit.

To achieve this, please open the Develop Persona, then navigate to View > Assistant Manager and change the RAW Output from 16bit to 32bit, then select Close. 

You should now find that 32bit images are retained in 32bit when being developed. I hope this helps!

• Staff

As far as I know, any data that can be retained in 32bit will be retained when imported - however when developing to 32bit, you are still developing the image, which converts it from it's RAW format into a rasterised format.

This, by design, holds less colour information than a RAW file, however as Affinity Photo doesn't yet support non-destructive RAW editing, there is no workaround around this, my apologies!

• Staff
18 minutes ago, Alann said:

When moving back to the Develop Persona from the Photo Persona does the image retain its pixelation or does it go back to being unbounded? 

Unfortunately I'm not 100% certain of the question here - are you referring to the colour space of the image being 'unbounded'?`
Or are you referring to raster images vs RAW images?

• Staff

No problem :) 

In regards to Colour -

The initial raw development is done in an unbounded colour space, when developing to 32bit you retain this 'unbounded' state and returning to the Develop persona should allow you to continue to edit your tonal ranges of the image whilst unbounded. 

In regards to rasterisation -

When opening the RAW image for the first time in the Develop Persona, you are editing the raw values of the RAW file itself, as the pixel data will have to be de-mosaiced (for a Bayer sensor) and this data is greyscale so colour must be interpolated.

After developing once, this image is rasterised by Affinity into a Pixel layer, and this is what's now being edited.

When returning to the Develop Persona, you will be editing this Pixel layer, and not the original RAW data.

I hope this helps!