You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Text Rendering Issue with Certain Fonts

I'm having an issue that happens quite frequently when I export a document to PDF. It seems like Publisher is switching languages on me. I have everything set to default except my spell check language, which is set to English (Canada). 

I suspect it is font dependent, but in this case, I'm using a font that was created by the US government for US publications, and it's happened with fonts purchased from established vendors as well, more than I can recount. At the end of the day, the only fix is to change the font or create outlines of the text, which, as you can imagine, is not ideal.

I get the feeling there's some typography setting in AfP that will override this, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

I've attached the afpub file and the PDF that was output. Other than the Public Sans font, found at their own page (https://public-sans.digital.gov) and FontSquirrel, I'm using Merriweather (Google fonts), which works fine.

Any ideas? 

Thanks!

Demo file.afpub Demo file.pdf

What PDF export settings are you using? 

I’ve just exported the demo file to PDF press ready and it came out ok, I use English (UK) Demo file TEST.pdf

Is this document a template from Indesign?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 1 year later...

My apologies for being away from this thread so long. My day job is in public health and, what can I say, it's been a year! 

The issue I experienced in the example has since been resolved, I'm guessing through an update. However I'm still experiencing odd substitutions in some characters (mostly punctuation) when I export to any type of PDF except a flattened one. The problem does not occur in an exported PNG, TIFF, or when I print directly from the .afpub

I'm going to troubleshoot this a little more over the next couple of days, trying different fonts and documents of varying complexity to see if there's one or more contributing issue. I'll repost when I have more to offer. 

You mention InDesign. For my future reference, can using an IDML cause problems? I have a big project (a 200+ page catalog) coming up in the new year, and my plan is to start from a previous year's which is an InDesign file. Are there any workarounds or "gotchas" you can offer?

Thanks so much,
Gary

Just now, schelling said:

I'm going to troubleshoot this a little more over the next couple of days, trying different fonts ....

Characters being substituted on export means your font does not have those particular glyphs. A 'fallback' font is chosen by the application to be used for those glyphs and that font will sometimes have different glyphs at those code points.

Rule of thumb is to work with a font with a large number of glyphs. Not a guarantee, just a rule of thumb.

5 minutes ago, schelling said:

You mention InDesign. For my future reference, can using an IDML cause problems? I have a big project (a 200+ page catalog) coming up in the new year, and my plan is to start from a previous year's which is an InDesign file. Are there any workarounds or "gotchas" you can offer?

IDML files cause problems, you can count on it.

I would start from scratch, you will spend a lot of time setting up, but wind up saving much much more time because you are not hunting down introduced problems and then having to either redo those pages or sections or just tossing in the towel after all the hours of work to that point.

Just my opinion(s).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

9 hours ago, schelling said:

However I'm still experiencing odd substitutions in some characters (mostly punctuation) when I export to any type of PDF except a flattened one. The problem does not occur in an exported PNG, TIFF, or when I print directly from the .afpub

With the normal Export to PDF you are sending characters, everything else is sending it directly to the rasterizer. So something is confusing the PDF library.

Public Sans has a complete Latin character set including all the punctuation needed for Canadian English. 🙂
So that should not be an issue.
Please attach an example PDF where you still see this issue.

In your first PDF, that kind of garbled text (which looks like some of the characters are on top of each other) often indicates duplicate font files are in the fonts folders. I do not know how to check that on a Mac (your PDF shows it was created on a Mac), but you need to make sure there are no duplicates in the system fonts and user fonts folders.
Then clear your font cache.

Public Sans is now v2.000 (as of 2021-11-01).
https://github.com/uswds/public-sans/releases/tag/v2.000

So if you still have the older version installed, un-install it, and install v2.000.

If you still have issues, please attach an example doc and PDF again.