You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colors COMPLETELY off. AGAIN.

I am so frustrated. I really want to like this software.
I had issues with off colors before, but with some help from here I finally figured out a system that worked decently (exporting to PDF and printing that instead).
So, I don't know if it's because of the update, but I'm back to where the colors on the screen aren't REMOTELY close to what prints.
I didn't change anything in how I was working. But it's pretty impossible to design when colors aren't even close.
Any ideas?

Print.jpg

ScreenGrab.JPG

Hallo KariLiz, I appreciate your frustration, believe me when I say that in my early days with DTP software I had a lot to learn about print/screen colour management and was quick to blame the software.  I am also on Win 10 and have no problems with colour at all.  It is not Affinity that it is the problem but somewhere in your colour management flow from the time you start up to the actual print.  The above images do not unfortunately show me what is going on, you have given no details.  You need to provide more details of your setup in windows, ie, the screen profile setting firstly.  Then where is your screen located in the room, do you have light behind you or in front of you.  The brightness of the monitor, have you lowered it or is it at manufacturers' settings.  What colour profile is your affinity document in, what are your printer settings, what paper are you using, what ICC profile is being allocated in the printer.  If you provide a detailed list then we can solve this. 

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

• Staff

Hi @KariLiz,

Sorry to see you're having trouble! This can happen for many reasons, can you please confirm the following for me?

• Are you using Mac or Windows?
  • Do you have a colour profile applied to your monitor, through your OS settings?
  • What are your Colour settings in Affinity? (Preferences > Colour)
  • Are you using a Soft Proof adjustment before printing?
  • What profile is your document using?
  • What profile is your printer using?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi... I'm not sure where to find some things. However, I haven't changed anything from the default settings on anything.

- Windows 10
- Monitor is the default (don't know where to find, never changed it)
- The CMYK is US Web coated SWOP v2 in AD
- No. I'm not sure what soft-proofing is...
- Document is CMYK/8 and says "convert" is picked
- Not sure where to look for printer profile. I have an HP Color Laserjet CP2025.
It is the default as well.. It says ICM=disabled, ICM=pictures, and HP Easy Color is selected (though nothing changed when I deselected that option either)

I learned the last time my colors were off using AD, that I had to export my AD files to PDF. That worked... until now.
I have my files in CMYK. I export to PDF (print), I attached my usual settings for that. I've tried various changes, but it's the same result.
Everything seems to be printing much too dark, and I'm not sure what has happened. I haven't changed any settings, or done anything different in my work flow...

If you could help that would be great. I run a biz and do pretty simple things, just labels. Vector stuff, gradients... nothing fancy.
The color issue is a real problem though. If you need more info (and can direct me where to find things) let me know. Thank you!!

PDFsettings.JPG

I'm not printing directly from AD to the printer. I export out the PDF, and then print from Adobe Reader.
I use CMYK because I need some plain black text and some rich text. Occasionally I send out for printing as well. (though, I haven't since using AD... it would make me nervous. I never had these issues with Illus.)

I attached the printer profile. I'll also try to disable the ICM on the printer.
I don't believe I have the printer taking over the color, it isn't checked in the preferences... but I'll try to make sure.

Printer Profile.JPG

It seems you are addressing your CMYK printer with a RGB profile and your document is set to a newspaper type paper with a profile dating from 1990.

That is not going to go well in any shape or form. I think that you are not fighting with Affinity but a lack of information regarding the process.

Softproofing is the attempt to show on your monitor what you will see in print.

I've tried every combo I can think of.... I got it ever so slightly lighter disabling the ICM (and selected host to manage it... other option was to let printer manage it)
My other choice was between "picture, graphic, proof, and match" I don't seem to have different RGB items to choose from.

Ever so slightly lighter, but colors still way off. I even tried making everything (document, export) in RGB... nope.
I've never had so much trouble with my prints before. Only since I started using AD after using Adobe for 2 decades... :(
Beyond frustrated. Especially since I thought I had it figured out, and then... BAM. ugh.

Hi Slammer...
That may well be.

But I used Adobe for 2 decades as a graphic designer before I decided to work for myself... so I understand CMYK, RGB, and the printing process. It's not new to me.
I have been printing my own labels for almost 15 years. On this printer.
Since switching to AD last year... I've never had to work so hard and waste so much time and paper just to print simple labels.

I finally had a system down to deal with this software, and now it's messing up again even though I changed nothing.
I want to like this software....

13 minutes ago, KariLiz said:

I've tried every combo I can think of.... I got it ever so slightly lighter disabling the ICM (and selected host to manage it... other option was to let printer manage it)
My other choice was between "picture, graphic, proof, and match" I don't seem to have different RGB items to choose from.

Ever so slightly lighter, but colors still way off. I even tried making everything (document, export) in RGB... nope.
I've never had so much trouble with my prints before. Only since I started using AD after using Adobe for 2 decades... :(
Beyond frustrated. Especially since I thought I had it figured out, and then... BAM. ugh.

If you are printing from acrobat, then try disabling any color management in acrobat. As you say have tried all combo´s then you must have by chance hit upon something workable so it must be something in the workflow that is throwing a spanner in the works. Something that needs to be troubleshot step by painful step, eliminate one thing at a time and don´t fall into the trap of twiddling too many knobs at once.

When did you last calibrate your HP?

2 minutes ago, KariLiz said:

Calibrated probably about a month ago after I got a new cartridge.
This just started after I did the update for AD.... which is why I think it's on the software end.

Affinity uses the very same profiles supplied and verified by the International Color Consortium or ICC, Photoshop uses the same as does Coral and all other programs and apps. Unless there is something fundamentally wrong in Affinty then I simply don´t see how it can be the problem.

8 minutes ago, KariLiz said:

Hi Slammer...
That may well be.

But I used Adobe for 2 decades as a graphic designer before I decided to work for myself... so I understand CMYK, RGB, and the printing process. It's not new to me.
I have been printing my own labels for almost 15 years. On this printer.
Since switching to AD last year... I've never had to work so hard and waste so much time and paper just to print simple labels.

I finally had a system down to deal with this software, and now it's messing up again even though I changed nothing.
I want to like this software....

The big question: are you up to date on the drivers?

3 hours ago, KariLiz said:

I attached the printer profile. I'll also try to disable the ICM on the printer.
I don't believe I have the printer taking over the color, it isn't checked in the preferences... but I'll try to make sure.

I have to agree with Slammer.  KariLiz, I print regualarly from Affinity to my colour laser Printer.  What I find such a terrible idea is that you have your document profile in CMYK.  This means that your laser printer is doing TWO conversions.  Converting the cmyk document in to RGB then the printer converting the RGB into Cmyk in order for it to print.  You should never have a document in cmyk unless it is specifically required by an out-sourced printer house, and even then they often ask for RGB anyway.  I do not want to get technical, but it is a wrong workflow to send a cmyk document to an inkjet or a laser printer.  Make sure that the printer's colour management is off in the printer itself.  The Printer'sown dialogue, as you know, must have some option here.  Unfortunately cheaper printers tend not to include this option, and those mid-range ones that do have it wrongly worded, as mine does, Standard RGB in my printer is basically no colour management in my printer, I have other stupid RGB settings as well such as Photo and art, but these are just terrible settings.  Maybe a screen shot of your printer dialogue would help?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

Maybe I'm just not getting this software.
I've set up my documents in CMYK in Illustrator for years, and could print directly from Illustrator, and my laser printer printed fine. My outsourced jobs printed fine.
In AD, I'm setting up my document as CMYK. Have to Export it to a PDF as CMYK. And not letting the printer take over. And now that doesn't work anymore out of the blue.
I also made the file RGB in AD, it got slightly lighter, but the colors are still so far off printing directly or creating a PDF. And I'm not sure the RGB will work with my labels because (that was the issue before as well) my text was printing really "fat"... and on product labels that just doesn't look good.

And maybe it's something weird entirely? The PDF looks fine on my screen in RGB or CMYK... but for the life of me it used to print fine and after the AD update it doesn't anymore and I didn't change anything.

I just got done with my errands... so I'll double check the driver. I also think I'll sign up for an Illustrator trial so I can see if it's a problem with that or not.
I attached some snips of different tabs on my printer dialogue. Let me know if you think seeing some other things would be helpful.

And thank you all for trying to help. I honestly am out of ideas.

Printer1.JPG

Printer2.JPG

Printer3.JPG

11 minutes ago, KariLiz said:

so I'll double check the driver.

Just a quick question:  Has the printer been automatically updated?  I only ask because I recognise this driver, I suddenly had all this after my printer updated and was really heaved off.  So I went into my software and deleted this driver and restored my original one which is and always has been SPECIFIC  to my printer and not a universal one from HP.  Now I am not saying this is a problem at all, but my original driver (not the one which you show which I got after an update) has a few more options in the colour settings and also has 'advanced' where you have 'services', which we do not need, this driver is a generic one.  But as I said, if it is the obe you are used to then just ignore my comments.

I assume you are setting the correct paper?  Silly question since you are obviously experienced, but I have to ask the obvious you know.

I'm just gonna cry now.
So, it prints no different from Illustrator. It looks like the other prints. So, there went that theory. My apologies to AD.
Which means it might be a driver, right?
I know nothing about changing or updating drivers... I think I lucked out before.
I tried to install a different driver... it seemed like nothing happened.
But something did, because on top of the printing issue, now I can't even access any of the printer stuff.
Not the properties, preferences... even says this on "print a test page" (I was able to access these things before I tried to download a new driver)

I just.... I don't know what happened. I downloaded it and ran as administrator... and now I have more problems that I totally don't know what to do with.
I was never an IT person... obvs. I have a new windows 10 laptop (last year), an old HP printer... and I just want them to play nice. :(

I've made it worse. And I don't know how to fix it... nothing I saw online seemed to work for me, and now it's more messed up.

MessedUp.JPG

25 minutes ago, KariLiz said:

I'm just gonna cry now.
So, it prints no different from Illustrator. It looks like the other prints. So, there went that theory. My apologies to AD.
Which means it might be a driver, right?
I know nothing about changing or updating drivers... I think I lucked out before.
I tried to install a different driver... it seemed like nothing happened.
But something did, because on top of the printing issue, now I can't even access any of the printer stuff.
Not the properties, preferences... even says this on "print a test page" (I was able to access these things before I tried to download a new driver)

I just.... I don't know what happened. I downloaded it and ran as administrator... and now I have more problems that I totally don't know what to do with.
I was never an IT person... obvs. I have a new windows 10 laptop (last year), an old HP printer... and I just want them to play nice. :(

I've made it worse. And I don't know how to fix it... nothing I saw online seemed to work for me, and now it's more messed up.

MessedUp.JPG

Ah! That sucks. You installed a driver on top of a driver, not a big issue as it has probably become the default, either change the default in the printer menu or deinstall what you just installed.

1. Start Settings from the Start menu.
  2. Click "Apps." ...
  3. In the pane on the left, click "Apps & features." ...
  4. In the Apps & features pane on the right, find a program you want to uninstall and click on it. ...
  5. Windows will uninstall the program, deleting all of its files and data.

At least you now have a start where to trouble shoot, I am still convinced it could be a profile mismatch.

Did you disable the firewalls and turn off the virus protection before installing? We have all been there...

And take a look at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2669244/windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-error-when-you

No. I didn't firewalls or virus stuff. I never have before and don't know to do that, or how exactly for that matter.
I can't even access the device manager now. I can't get into the printer to tell it what driver to use.
The uninstall didn't list the driver I installed even after I typed it in the search.

I'll look at the link.

Thanks for trying to help.

Okay. I deleted the file and rebooted... and now I can access stuff.
I'm back to just the printing problem.
The driver I have I downloaded (somehow got it to work even though I was clueless then, too)... was direct from HP website. It's a universal PCL
I feel like when I try to mess with the driver, things go bad. None of the steps seem to be working for me, even from HP.
Does anyone have a dumbed-down how to, on updating or trying different drivers?
Do I need to buy a new printer even though mine is "working"?
Or if that's not it... what did you mean by profile mismatch Slammer?
I did try to print by creating a new RGB file, and it did the same thing.

Updated the driver. Weird, because just choosing update changed it from PCL to PS... ??
Still not quite right.
I will be here wasting paper and wishing it would print remotely close to the colors I have...

Thank you for the help, everyone....  I'll be happy if anyone has anymore info, but do realize this is out of the AD realm now.
I appreciate the efforts, and at least I know it's not AD.