You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Remember" last used tool when opening a new image

Hey!

first of all, I was searching the forum for this specific topic, but I didn't find anything which I find rather weird, I can't believe I'm the only one missing this simple, yet really handy function.

I'm working with a lot of images and do lots of little touch ups, mostly using the same tools, but everytime I open a new image (not even closing affinity) I have to click on a tool or hit the specific button to select that tool. It would be so much easier and faster if the last used tool was just kept selected.

I was looking through the settings, and as I said searched the forum, but I can't find anything about it.

It's such a simple function, coming from photoshop I'm really used to it and I'd never had thought I'd miss it so much.

15 minutes ago, rec said:

It would be so much easier and faster if the last used tool was just kept selected.

The last used tool is maintained on a document by document basis

It would be annoying to some people if say, you were cloning something in one document then switched to another document to do some inpainting then wanted to return to the first document to continue your cloning only to find that now the inpainting tool has been selected in that document too.

It may be better just to add an option to Preferences so it works the way you would prefer it to work. But with limited space and the developers' time it may not be possible to add every option users request from the Devs

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

The last used tool is maintained on a document by document basis

It would be annoying to some people if say, you were cloning something in one document then switched to another document to do some inpainting then wanted to return to the first document to continue your cloning only to find that now the inpainting tool has been selected in that document too.

It may be better just to add an option to Preferences so it works the way you would prefer it to work. But with limited space and the developers' time it may not be possible to add every option users request from the Devs

For me it's only logical to have the last used tool selected, no matter which document, but anyway, having no tool selected is just frustrating when you work with a load of images.

I agree though that having more options is never a bad idea.

4 hours ago, rec said:

first of all, I was searching the forum for this specific topic, but I didn't find anything which I find rather weird, I can't believe I'm the only one missing this simple, yet really handy function.

You may have a broken search somehow, but there are a lot of posts and requests on this topic :-)

https://www.google.com/search?q="Remember"+last+used+tool+when+opening+a+new+image+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

17 hours ago, Pšenda said:

You may have a broken search somehow, but there are a lot of posts and requests on this topic 🙂

https://www.google.com/search?q="Remember"+last+used+tool+when+opening+a+new+image+site%3Aforum.affinity.serif.com

I see, no idea why the the search didn't find anything and seeing that this topic was brought up several times already seems to indicate that there won't be any change soon... *sigh*

Anyway, thanks.

6 hours ago, rec said:

no idea why the the search didn't find anything

It depends on which search method you use - searching for a forum is not exactly the best in some situations. That's why I use Google search, which usually gives more relevant results.

6 hours ago, rec said:

seeing that this topic was brought up several times already seems to indicate that there won't be any change soon... *sigh*

They may surprise us, but I think you're unfortunately right.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.