You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

More vector brushes types and settings like in AI would be nice

Hello Affinity Team,

I am missing two special brush types in AD among the vector brushes, which I have used very often in Illustrator.

I miss the possibility to create calegraphy brushes. Maybe you could add these additional settings to the even brush tips (angles and roundness).

Then I'm missing a special brush that gives me the possibility to create created graphics into real vector brushes with additional setting options.

For the already existing vector brushes, which are more like bitmap brushes, where a bitmap is connected to a vector line, I am missing some additional setting options like direction scaling and mirroring. In addition, Illustrator also allows you to create vector graphics as image brushes.

In AI you can also convert all kinds of brushes into vector objects, which is very important for me. And the creation of brushes is much easier in AI.

I'm going to attach some videos from AI, where you can see which brushes and functions I mean.

+1 I'm also waiting for more vector brush functionality before I completely abandon Adobe.
In particular I need something like the "pattern brushes" in Ai....
The ability to drag any vector graphic into the brush palette and create repeating brushes, along with the ability to create corner tiles and end points.

Hallo ra.skill,

yes, the pattern brush is also available in AI. Unfortunately I have not listed it here, because I have worked with it rather less. But this one would also be a brush that I might miss.

What is very important for me is that a vector brush can be created from real vectors, so that I can use the advantages of unlimited transformations without loss of quality.

It is also easier to convert these brushes back into vector objects, since there is no such thing as converting pixel to vector in AD.

When I am currently creating new brushes in AD, I have to create all PNG files in a very high resolution (at least 2400 dpi) to avoid sharp edges when enlarging.

In addition to this, with the current vector brushes I cannot create brushes where I can use graphics as objects that do not deform when curves are drawn, and where the object underneath is sometimes suddenly cut off when the curve is tight, which should not happen. To get around these problems with the vector brushes I have to use pixel brushes, but unfortunately this limits the flexibility of scaling.

It’s mad that the brushes are all raster in a vector program?? Is Ai like this??

I mainly use the pattern brush feature so I’m not that aware. 

I guess using raster you get some finer grain and detail perhaps 🤔 otherwise I don’t understand this. 

Yes, in AI the included brushes are all real vector brushes, these are created from vector objects. No matter if watercolour, coal or other brushes. All are vectors. You can see it best when you look at the drawn brush lines in high magnification. Then you can see the single vector areas.

Probably real pictures were used there, then converted into vector graphics and saved as brushes.

Of course, if you use these brushes, it will be visible at some point, even if the magnification is too high. But if you use them in real size or a bit smaller, they look like real brush lines.

But in AI you can also use pictures as a template for the brushes like in AD.
But because of the possibility to convert images into vectors in AI, you can convert them and use the flexibility of the vectors.

AI Brushes.JPG