You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing Imported Vector Files

New user of the Affinity Suites, I have Designer, Photo and Publisher. I purchased a couple of vector files to edit for t-shirts I’m designing in Affinity Designer. I’m sorry but I’m new, and can’t figure out how to edit these files. I opened the file up as a png. I want to change the text and color of the design. Can anyone tell me how to do so? I've searched the forum and FAQ and haven't found anything on this. 

Here is some of the info from the file/image I purchased: 

“ You will Get 12 Design files in a .zip folder.

(2 SVG / 2 PNG / 2 DXF / 2 EPS / 1 PSD / 1 JPG / 1 PDF / 1 AI)

Design color : BLACK AND BLUE

Dimension    : 15 x 15 inches

These are high quality 300 DPI Print ready Editable Vector based Design files.

you can use on any project you are working on. “

Thank you so much for your help. 

So I've now opened the file as a SVG and not sure how to edit the text. Looking for a video to help. The file is editable I just don't know how to do it yet, but I'll learn. I'm assuming the SVG is the best file for me to work with? Open to any help or direction, text or video to educate me. 

Thanks, 

B.

Edited by B. Kevin
Removing the paid for eps

I've figured out how to edit everything except the text in the SVG design. It has to be something easy and I'm just not seeing it. No YouTube videos on editing SVG text with Affinity Designer. Looking forward to your feedback. Thanks.

Edited by B. Kevin

The text in that SVG is no longer editable as text as it is ‘baked’ into the shape.
In other words, what looks like text is just curves which have been subtracted from a larger shape.
Note: If you purchased that graphic from somewhere, and it isn’t freely available for the public to use, then it should probably be removed from this thread.
Further Note: Editing someone else’s graphic and using as your own may not be allowed, depending on the licence you purchased with the graphic. Check carefully before using it or you could be doing something illegal.

6 hours ago, GarryP said:

The text in that SVG is no longer editable as text as it is ‘baked’ into the shape.
In other words, what looks like text is just curves which have been subtracted from a larger shape.
Note: If you purchased that graphic from somewhere, and it isn’t freely available for the public to use, then it should probably be removed from this thread.
Further Note: Editing someone else’s graphic and using as your own may not be allowed, depending on the licence you purchased with the graphic. Check carefully before using it or you could be doing something illegal.

As you have learned PNG is not vector, so that will never work. 

If you purchased these vectors then I am 99% sure they were originally created with Adobe Illustrator as it is the standard in vector work. The 2 main formats for Illustrator is .ai and .eps. I would try and open the .ai file in Affinity as that is most likely the original file from which everything else was exported from.

Thank you all so much. I don't seem to be able to edit the text, as it looks like what Gary said, baked in. I've been able to remove the text ring/circle and create my own. Still working with it but I might be able to get it to work and look like what I have in mind. I"m really looking forward to leaning Designer, Photo and Publisher. All of you have been most helpful. 

• 5 months later...

New user of Designer but have used Publisher for a while now and like Kevin, I've not been able to get a clear answer from the forums so here's my question.

In AP or AD, how do you ungroup a vector image to alter it? I see 'Edit document ' in AD sometimes and then sometimes I don't when I place another image next time. I've done the same thing in AP but 'ungroup' is not active after selecting the image so I'm missing something key here of how to do this. I've purchased these images I'm using with a commercial license. Can some kind soul tell me the steps involved in both AD and AP please? What I'm trying to do is edit a vector image for a coloring book so the image would have a thick black outline of the image with a white interior on a white background. Thank you.

You have to open (File > Open) a vector file format, ideally one AD/APub do support (PDF, SVG, EPS, AI). From these vector formats the PDF one is your best choice, as far as you got a vector file in that format, since for the other three formats AD/APub can have quite some reading (parsing in) limitations.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

A PDF and not JPEG to edit in AD? I tried a jpeg but still am not able to separate out the image into its parts to manipulate. What I want to do seems a fairly simple thing to do but I just don't get how to do this.

14 minutes ago, AVR said:

I tried a jpeg but still am not able to separate out the image into its parts to manipulate.

A JPG file is a raster/pixel/bitmap format file (like a photo simplified said), thus a rectangular matrix of pixels and no vector file!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

Maybe you should show a screenshot of what you're trying to do in Designer and what sort of vector file you're loaded in (show the layers panel too). - Usually if something is grouped it's indicated as that in the layers panel, then you select that layer and ungroup it.

However, you may want to look at some Designer tutorials here in order to get more familiar with it. The Designer online help is also useful to take a look to.

• 3 months later...
On 3/6/2021 at 1:53 AM, v_kyr said:

Maybe you should show a screenshot of what you're trying to do in Designer and what sort of vector file you're loaded in (show the layers panel too). - Usually if something is grouped it's indicated as that in the layers panel, then you select that layer and ungroup it.

However, you may want to look at some Designer tutorials here in order to get more familiar with it. The Designer online help is also useful to take a look to.

Dear sir or madame, please help me to ungroup a vector image , link: https://pixabay.com/ro/vectors/floare-rose-plantelor-red-rose-156608/ 

I wa looking into tutorials but nothing help me.  I saw a video on youtube with ungrouping of this image but it is a older version of affinity designer where the Anna mentioned something (shift +G) for ungrouping at minute  5:35 of videoclip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QCwSjns_rE&list=PLPCtNZjqSVUj05HNG6OXreOb1sL4WntAr&index=30&t=315s  

but I did not succed . please help me

Welcome to the forums @Costas2021,

First, the tutorial is showing the on-line editor PhotoPea. This generally shouldn't be important, however becomes important due to how it treats the SVG file. As you can see in the tutorial the SVG file has many Groups.

Did you download the SVG format or PNG? If the latter, then there's nothing but a flattened pixel layer, no groups or Layers. Different programs treat the layers/groups differently. Affinity Designer treated them as Layer-Layers not Group-Layers.

So since they are not Groups, there is not a short-cut command to ungroup them. I'm not very well versed in Designer, but all the searching I've done, reveals that the only way to ungroup the Layer-groups is to open them, select all the sub-layers, then drag them out of the layer-group.

I watched some of the tutorial, and if you're just wanting to remove the color, there's really no need to ungroup. Just open the layer, select all the sub-layer, can be done by selecting the first sub-layer, not the one labeled Layer, then holding down Shift and selecting the last one. Then go to the Color Panel and selecting the color, which the tutorial states White. That's what I'd do, instead of ungrouping them. In fact, unless PhotoPea doesn't allow it, even if they're grouped, I would just leave them grouped, much easier to manage.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

22 hours ago, Costas2021 said:

Dear sir or madame, please help me to ungroup a vector image , link: https://pixabay.com/ro/vectors/floare-rose-plantelor-red-rose-156608/ 

I wa looking into tutorials but nothing help me.  I saw a video on youtube with ungrouping of this image but it is a older version of affinity designer where the Anna mentioned something (shift +G) for ungrouping at minute  5:35 of videoclip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QCwSjns_rE&list=PLPCtNZjqSVUj05HNG6OXreOb1sL4WntAr&index=30&t=315s  

but I did not succed . please help me

I paid more attention and I discovered that even it is said that there is a vector image, when I download is actually a png  format, So this is the main reason of my problem. Manu thanks for your answer.

Your Welcome. :)

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! I'm new to AD and having trouble editing imported vector files, similar to AVR above. I've tried to edit multiple SVG and EPS files, but I never get the "Edit Document" button, only the "Replace Document" button. What am I doing wrong? I'm grateful for any help you can give me!