You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Arrows (and other shapes) in the middle of a stroke

Hello! 

I posted one day the idea to separate the « placing within the line or at the end of the line » for the start and the end of a stroke but sadly it wasn't popular, so I don't know if this one will be.

It would be great to get a third placement options for arrows beside « end » and « start ». A « middle » one would be great too! Especially if we could choose the middle point with a pourcentage of the stroke length :) It would save a lot of time creating stroke like illustrated in the screenshots I provided in the attachment of this post. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 14.31.14.png

• 2 years later...

Welcome to the forums @oebeltranm

The only ‘workaround’ that I know of, and it only works reasonably well with straight lines, is to draw the line from the start to the end, then back to the start again, and then to the middle, adding the arrowhead at the end of the line (which is now in the middle of the line).

(Or you can draw the line from the start to the end and then to the middle but you will need to ‘flip’ the line to get the arrowhead pointing the ‘right way’.)

The length of the line can be changed using the Move Tool or, more awkwardly, with the Node Tool.

It’s not ideal but it might be useful for some non-complex requirements where accuracy isn't important (the arrowhead will not be exactly centred).

You might be able to do something with Constraints in Designer but I think that will only be even more awkward, requiring more layers.

Maybe someone else has a better solution and will post it here.