You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How can I export several variations using Export persona?

I'm warming up to the Export persona idea, finding it pretty decently implemented for exporting icons for application development. I'm not sure how best to set up the export of variations of, for example, a button. A button can typically have four states

• enabled
  • enabled and selected
  • disabled
  • disabled and selected

This sometimes calls for four different bitmaps or SVGs. In the example graphic below, the only difference between the four versions is the white outline (which disappears when the button isn't "selected" or on), and the opacity of the whole image (50% when disabled).

I'd like to avoid making four copies of this thing. Can I set up slices that only include certain layers? Then I could have the outline on a layer that I can exclude from one export, then have a 100% opacity layer that I can exclude from others. Or maybe there's a better way.

Suggestions welcomed!

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 5.45.07 PM.png

As I understand it you would need to have each state represented in a duplicate and their respective layers turned on or off and parameters set prior to moving to the export persona.

In export persona you can make slices that sit on top of one another but turning off layers or not making layers visible on export appears to make all slices function the same instead of being able to turn layers on or off per slice.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 hours ago, Stokestack said:

I'd like to avoid making four copies of this thing. Can I set up slices that only include certain layers?

No, the export persona (sadly) doesn't handle it and doesn't work that way, you will still need 4 buttons for the desired states in order to export their different looks as slices here. - Also via symbols you will still need 4 buttons in order to generate 4 different looking slices.

The only way to deal here with just one drawn button is, to set it up via the common layers panel manually as desired in the Design persona and then to export the by layers settings the altered one button four times without using the Export persona at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

I just set up a four-way template, but found one potentially annoying aspect of the Symbol functionality: If you make one copy invisible in the layer list, they all become invisible. While this might occasionally be useful, I think it would be annoying as hell at least as often. Is this configurable?

Since they are all linked (synchronized) together makes sense here. You would have to unsynchronize the one to hide, the sync button in the symbol panel works like an on/off toggle for selected symbols.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2