You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Select same color fill/ stroke feature

Hi Guys

first of all, you guys are doing an excellent job with this program.. it is just like Illustrator except price much cheaper, but I would like to know if the programs is getting 

the select same color fill/ stroke feature any time soon, I saw some post asking for the same since 4 years ago.

thank you 

and keep up the good work 

count me in

Currently I am drawing the noseart of a model kit to let print decals by a professional printshop. But to print a white color on an otherwise transparent film can not be done with CMYK. The printer will do this by a second run. 

Usually in the file the "white" (C=00 M=00 Y=00 K=00) has to be replaced by a certain grey value, e.g. K=11. The print shop then has its software that finds all this forms and will print it in the separate run.

My task now is to find all the white elements/forms and change their color values to 00 00 00 11. Since there is no such feature in Designer I wonder how this can be done in an efficient way (fast and secure - each and every element must be changed).

Thanks for your support.

6 hours ago, uhebeisen said:

Usually in the file the "white" (C=00 M=00 Y=00 K=00) has to be replaced by a certain grey value, e.g. K=11. The print shop then has its software that finds all this forms and will print it in the separate run.

My task now is to find all the white elements/forms and change their color values to 00 00 00 11. Since there is no such feature in Designer I wonder how this can be done in an efficient way (fast and secure - each and every element must be changed).

Can your print shop handle Spot Colours? Sounds like it can (the second run) so make a Global Colour and name it "My White Colour" then select all the white outline parts you want printed as white and hit the My White Colour swatch in the Swatches panel. I would suggest making a Document palette for these colours.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

then select all the white outline parts

yes, you name it. But I think this shouldn't be done one by one through hundreds of layers. Exactly this is the requested feature: search all parts (or forms) with a color xyz and assign them a new color. As I said I will have to switch back to AI but what can I use AD then for?

Maybe I have to look around for other vector drawing programs.

uhebeisen,

I'm sure that you saw in the other, longer thread about this that you also posted in that one of the developers addressed this and said that he hopes to add it in for version 1.9 (they are currently at 1.8) so hopefully not too much longer of a wait (although there is no set date for the 1.9 release). 

Hokusai

yes Hokusai,

you are right. But as this topic is placed a long time ago - 2014 - why would Affinity add it in the next release? They just ignore it.  

I've been looking for a viable alternative to AI for a long time and have several graphics programs on my mac. As soon as i have done this job i will go through all my options again to finally find a solution. So much in advance, Amadine has implemented this function since the beginning, see screenshot. This is a good candidate, although its zoom function takes some getting used to.

ueli

select-function-ama.png

5 hours ago, uhebeisen said:

you are right. But as this topic is placed a long time ago - 2014 - why would Affinity add it in the next release?

Matt said that he was working on adding it to 1.9 and seeing how it is a much requested feature, why wouldn't they add it? I haven't tried Amadine but I remember it from before they changed the name (seems like they changed it a few times). I thought about it before I found Affinity Designer when I was looking for an alternative to Illustrator and it has some useful features but it seems more hobbyist than professional. Maybe my opinion would change after using it but I love the way things work in Designer and so Amadine would have to be way more powerful than Designer to lure me away and I just don't see it happening. Sure there are things that need to be added to Designer but they are getting there and I have no doubt that they will add them.