You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am searching for a way to sort the TOC by Styles used for the entry.  My task in detail is to sort instructions by difficulty, where the instruction chapter has its headline style and the difficulty has its own style.

A TOC is normally sorted by the page numbers of the entries, but in my use case I would need to sort by the difficulty style first (Those difficulty levels should occur only once in theTOC and then the headlines - no matter if sorted by page number or by alphabet.

Does anyone have an idea, how to realize this?

I am trying to figure out what you want. Is this what you want to achieve?
You have three levels of difficulty, Simple, Moderate and Hard. You want to have a ToC with all the listings for 

Simple 
    this._____________________ 12
    that._____________________ 15
    and another one._________ 32 
Moderate 
    some stuff. ______________ 11
    other stuff. ______________ 16
    final stuff. _______________ 24

Hard
    example. _________________ 5
    exercise. _________________ 17
    something. _______________ 89

Am I close? If so then I think you need to have three sets of Paragraph Styles which are identical except for their names and then you have to set up three ToCs.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

What @Old Bruce showed looks more like an Index than a TOC, to me. A single multi-level index could also work, with (for example) parent topic names like "1. Something", "2. Another thing", etc. where the numbers would determine the order of the parent topics in the index.

(However, you can only have 1 index in a document, so if you need both a TOC and an Index I think you need to use Bruce's approach.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1