You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF export - adobe reader can't print

Hello there, 

We produce pdf print-at-home sewing patterns which are vector line drawings that are edited in affinity. 

We've recently been having an issue where our affinity-exported pdfs are producing printing errors when our customers try to use them. It seems that they can open them fine and see the files on screen, however when they come to print either there is a printing error or random pages print blank. 

Unfortunately we do not have the issue ourselves so it's hard to say what exactly is going wrong. Does anyone have any ideas?

As adobe is the most common pdf reader we really want it to be compatible. 

We always select the 'PDF(for print)' option when exporting our files and have not had any issues reported until the last month or so...

Thanks in advance! 

Lilia

Could you please upload a PDF causing problem and the corresponding Affinity document here? And do know which PDF reader in which version is causing problems?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

So far no problem on my side (virtually) printing to a iPF750. Unfortunately I cannot test with Adobe Reader, I only have Acrobat Pro and FoxitReader installed.

Few more questions: The error message happened to you? Or is it a screenshot from a customer? How do you send the PDF to your customers? Via E-Mail or a link? I am asking because from time to time I have the same problem downloading from web links resulting in broken files. So maybe you can compare (content, size) a valid PDF and a broken PDF. Sorry for not being more helpful.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

That's from a customer. They get is as a download link when they purchase it through our Shopify store - digital downloads app which also sends them an email with the link. We have also had the issue when we have sent via email however. It only happens with a small percentage of people but obviously if there is something we can do out end to smooth out the issue when we create the file then we would like to do that! Rather than deal with frustrated customers!

Thanks anyway for your interest and trying to help!

Export the for the customer failing PDF e.g. as X4-PDF and the customer should try again. Maybe this works. But in the end there are a variety of problems that might happen: Outdated printer driver, corrupt download, ADesigner failing to write a proper PDF, PDF reader broken etc. pp.

------

• Staff

Hi @LPT/Lila,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

I've downloaded this PDF here and printed it through Adobe Acrobat - unfortunately we only have access to A4 printers, so I had to print it out at 25% scale, however the document printed correctly without any error messages being produced. 

Is this perhaps an issue regarding page size? My thought is that a customer is opening the PDF file and then sending it to their printer at 100% size, which their printer likely cannot understand and this returns an error to Acrobat?