You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quick Access to downloads

Can any one advise me please. I have downloaded many add ons to my Affinity designer software and put the downloads into a Affinity Download File on my Documents Folders. I know I can access this through Affinity by Open file, but is there a way to quickly get to my Affinity Download files within Affinity instead of having to search through my Document folders?

Gordon

What OS do you use?

If you're on Windows, for example, you can tell File Explorer to mark your folder for Quick Access, and an icon for it will be placed in the File Explorer dialog that you can simply click on.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, Gordon G said:

I know I can access this through Affinity by Open file, but is there a way to quickly get to my Affinity Download files within Affinity instead of having to search through my Document folders?

One way to do this on a Mac is in Finder to drag your "Affinity Download" folder (I am assuming it is a folder in your Documents folder, not a bunch of loose files in that folder) into the sidebar. That way, when you want to open or place one of those files in an Affinity app you can just click on it in the sidebar, which will open that folder.

It is also possible to create Smart Folders & place them on the sidebar. Depending on the Smart Folder search criteria you use (Smart Folders are actually just saved searches, not real folders) this can make it possible to show files that actually are in many different folders in a single view, all at the same time.

Just as an example, I created a Smart Folder that will display all my Affinity template files (those with the .aftemplate file extension) in one view:

1405214717_smarttemplates.jpg.a3fcc08f1a92a662d5eded93b5897dd5.jpg

As it is it isn't very useful, but by adding other criteria like a 'created' date range or maybe some any/all/none 'name contains' boolean ones it is possible to create Smart Folders that automatically can display files that meet almost any criteria you can imagine.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7