You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't select & edit text in Affinity Publisher

I don't understand the "X" frame which appears to keep me from editing some of the objects in the attachments.  No problem when the box and text are identified in the layers panel, but not all objects appear there. Also, a red line appears when expanding some items in the layers panel.  I suspect this is related to my problem.

No doubt this is another not seeing the forest for the trees. 

But I just completed a 90 page book and am trying to go through and make very minor adjustments / corrections and am expending a lot of time just trying to select an object, text box to make the change.  I am able to click on an object, text frame in the layers panel or alternately use "find" to find and select the text or object to be edited.  

This is my first project with Affinity Publisher and up to this situation it's been a relatively easy to learn and use  product.  I do miss having cross-referencing, footnotes and endnotes, but I worked around those issues.

Thanks,

GermanJohnScreenDump.png

GermanJohnScreenDump2.png

• Staff

Hi @germanjohn,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

10 hours ago, germanjohn said:

I don't understand the "X" frame which appears to keep me from editing some of the objects in the attachments.  No problem when the box and text are identified in the layers panel, but not all objects appear there

This appears to be a locked frame, most likely from a Master Page, any objects linked from a Master Page will appear only in the correct 'group' in the Layers Studio (marked Master Page), so please check here.

This is also why you're seeing the orange marks by these layers, this indicates that they're symbolic objects, linked to the Master Page. You'll either need to edit the master page itself, or remove the master page association with this spread to remove these layers.

I recommend checking out the following for more info -

https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337264378

I hope this helps! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I think there is nothing in this Text Frame so I question why it is on the Master A at all.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still having trouble finding what layer I'm in on my text boxes that are linked by a master page. Every time I want to edit, I have to search and click, search and click in the layers panel to be able to find the layer I'm in to edit text. It's a terrible waste of time. I thought I would like this program, but it's becoming unmanageable for me like this. I tried what Ami_M did with 'edit detached' and that did nothing. Every time I click in the text box it jumps to another layer and I have to go through the process all over again trying to find what box I'm in to edit the text. Then once I've found it and edited, if I take my cursor down on the page farther, I'm back to a new layer and uneditable in this one til I search for and find it again. Wow. Anyone have this problem and can help me? I've watched Affinity's layer video and purchased a course by Ally Anderson of Affinity Revolution but this particular problem is mystifying me. Thanks for any help.

The "edit detach" worked for me - going through the layers can be time-consuming and frustrating, but I got into a rhythm and was able to do all the desired editing.  

I finished my project and must say that my difficulties with Publisher were mostly self-induced and, often couldn't see the trees for the forest.  Those were very frustrating and trying times.  I also encountered similar problems years ago with Quark, Indesign, Scribus, and other publications SW.  All of these products are very complex and comprehensive SW products.  I understand your frustration.  I  also tried the test version of Viva and really liked the program but it kept locking my system plus it expensive , that's when I committed to Affinity Publisher. 

Publisher has some noticeable shortcomings for my applications - footnotes, end-notes, and cross-referencing - but I found the documentation, videos, and especially the forum to be excellent support and got me passed the problems I had.  The more I do with Publisher, the more I understand and the fewer problems I have.  It's a great product for the money.