You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hi @PippiL,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

This is working fine for me here, so I'm going to need your crash logs to look into this further.

Please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder, then attach the latest report to your reply here.

Many thanks in advance :)

• Staff

Thanks for your report PippiL, it looks as though the Glyph Browser may be causing this crash, but I'm not certain for the exact reason for this currently!

Could you please confirm for me:

• What were you doing in your logo creation before the app crashed initially?
  • Are you using any custom installed fonts in the logo?
  • Had you used the Glyph browser in your design?

I believe resetting the App Data folder will resolve this issue for you, however the location of said folder differs depending on whether you purchased from the Mac App Store or the Affinity Store. Do you know where your app was installed from please?

Many thanks once again!

I use the glyph browser all the time but I did not use it when I was creating the logo. I think the last thing I did was looking for a font I like and then it crashed.

I have hundreds of custom installed fonts but didn't get to the fonts yet in this logo yet since AD crashed.

I never have any crashing problems using AD using my older OS on my other computer? 

I purchased AD in the store. Unfortunately, I never knew I could use it in the App store :(

Thank you for your help. 

20 minutes ago, PippiL said:

Is there a way to download AD form the app store instead of the website?

Yes, but you can only do that by purchasing it again. There is no connection between the various stores, and a store has no idea of purchases made from any other store.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just wanted to use my old laptop and it's crashing there as well. I wanted to create a 12x12 design the moment I clicked add to presets it crashed.

I'm totally at loss. AD is my business and I cannot create my logo for my customer :(

Thanks, Walt. Here is the questions, who is responsible for the program not working?

Is there a fix, do other users have the same problem? I'm pretty desperate at this point, I have orders and need the program.

If I purchase AD again as an App do I have the same issues? Does the App works?

35 minutes ago, PippiL said:

who is responsible for the program not working?

Until the cause of the crash is known, either Serif or Apple could be responsible for it happening. But I would say that Serif is responsible for figuring out the cause of the problem. Once that is known you'll know who should fix it.

39 minutes ago, PippiL said:

Is there a fix, do other users have the same problem?

Sorry, no idea. Serif is working on your problem, though.

39 minutes ago, PippiL said:

If I purchase AD again as an App do I have the same issues? Does the App works?

Again, no idea. But my guess is that it's likely to work (or not work) the same way.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Thanks for your replies and all the information provided.

13 hours ago, PippiL said:

I have hundreds of custom installed fonts but didn't get to the fonts yet in this logo yet since AD crashed.

It's certainly possible that the cause of these crashes is due to one of your custom fonts, however the crash report does not indicate which it may be. Are you using a Font Manager? If so I'd recommend disabling all custom installed fonts and seeing if the app still crashes.

Is Catalina causing any of these problems by any chance?

It's very unlikely to be the version of Mac OS that's causing this.

if I would reset anything do I lose all my designs?

You would lose your app settings, any custom styles or assets you may have created - but any saved Affinity documents will remain unaffected.

I just wanted to use my old laptop and it's crashing there as well. I wanted to create a 12x12 design the moment I clicked add to presets it crashed.

I'm certainly very sorry to hear this - I'll need a copy of the crash report from this machine if you'd like me to investigate this also.

Please try the following on your Macbook 2019 to clear your app data -

• Navigate to;  ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer/
  • Rename the folder to "Affinity Designer1"
  • Launch the Affinity app

This should generate a new App Data folder for the app, and should hopefully stop the app from crashing on startup.

Please do let me know if this helps!

I followed your instructions and it worked!

I don't want to disable my fonts if don't have to, I have too many.

Thank you so much. This is frustrating, not knowing what to do?

I appreciate your help. I hope this is not happening again?