You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo won't start - Mac OS El Capitan

I bought Affinity Photo in early April 2020 and installed it, registering the ID and code provided. I'm running Mac OS 10.11.6 on a Macbook Pro 5,1 with 8GB RAM and a 1TB hard drive. The application has been working fine until yesterday but now won't open. No messages, no crash symptoms, nada - just won't open. I've uninstalled and reinstalled but it still won't work. I also have Photoshop CS6 and Gimp, both of which are OK, as are all the other applications I use regularly. The hard disk has 305GB free. Any ideas?

How exactly are you trying to start up ("launch" in Apple-speak) the app? For example, are you double-clicking on its icon in Applications folder?

What happens if in Finder you right-click on a jpeg file & in the popup menu "Open With" submenu you choose "Affinity Photo"?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

47 minutes ago, R C-R said:

How exactly are you trying to start up ("launch" in Apple-speak) the app? For example, are you double-clicking on its icon in Applications folder?

What happens if in Finder you right-click on a jpeg file & in the popup menu "Open With" submenu you choose "Affinity Photo"?

I've tried double-click on icon, 'open with' on jpeg and Affinity files as well as Ctrl-click open on both icon in Applications and alias on desktop. App icon in dock shows briefly, bouncing, then disappears. I have found a relevant crash report but don't know what to make of it - way beyond my 'puter skills. Copy attached here.

AffinityCrash.rtf

Edited by E3Nomad
clarification

Looks like a codesign validation problem ...

Crashed Thread:        0

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)

Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000

Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

... similar like often seen here. - Did you also tried open the APh app first and then loading/opening a file, how does it behave then?

I too run MAS apps under El Capitan but don't have these issues so far.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, DWright said:

Hi @E3Nomad,

Can you please check if you are running the latest Nvidia display drivers

As far as I can see there are 6 NVIDIA drivers for the NVIDIA GeForce 9400M display on my MacBook Pro 5,1 A1286: 

NVDAGF100Hal: 10.10.14; NVDAGK100Hal: Version: 10.10.14; NVDANV50HalTesla: Version: 10.0.52; NVDAResman: Version: 10.10.14; NVDAResmanTesla: Version: 10.0.52; NVDAStartup: Version: 10.10.14

I'm not aware that Apple has any way of updating drivers except for update offerings through the App Store. Besides, Affinity Photo worked fine for several weeks after my purchase and there have been neither changes nor upgrades since then. If it's a validation problem, I don't see how the graphics drivers have anything to do with the problem. Remember that unlike Windows users, Mac users have little control over drivers and the like.

I'd welcome your suggestions.

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 07.10.36.png

1 hour ago, DWright said:

Hi @E3Nomad,

I purchased my copy of Affinity Photo 1.8.3. from the website for £23.99  , and I'm concerned that it's now £48.99 from both Serif (Europe) Ltd and the App Store. Is the doubling of the price associated with a 'deal' with Apple that affects code signing?

Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 07.58.07.png

2 hours ago, DWright said:

Hi @E3Nomad,

OK - got it running again. Did re-install of El Capitan, which revealed error in RawTherapee installation. Uninstalled RawTherapee and Affinity Photo started, accepting my registration details and now runs fine. Thanks for your attention.