You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help: Every Line Drawn Went To A Different Layer

Affinity Designer 1.7.2 for OSX

What did I do wrong and how can I fix it without re-doing the entire document?. I'm creating a grid and some text boxes. Every element went to a new layer. Searching the internet I came up with this below but I can't find the menu item.

From the Layer menu, select Merge Selected.

Screen Shot 2020-06-08 at 8.54.41 AM.png

First, "Merge Selected" is a function of Affinity Photo, not Affinity Designer.

Next, why do you want them in one layer? It is normal for different lines in Designer to be in different layers, and in most cases that does not cause any issues.

Finally, the current release of Designer is 1.8, so you seem to be using an older version. That won't affect what you're seeing, but I thought I'd mention it in case you weren't aware that your Designer is downlevel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Ok, looks like I need to upgrade. 

If every line is in a different layer, how does one make all 100 or so different layers disappear so I can see only the 50 or so text layers.  Maybe I don't understand what  layer is in Affinity designer. Is there some other way to group parts of the image together either in front or behind other parts?

Ok, so I looked back to the last time I made the same table and the tag on the file is ".fh11" but I can't seem to find my software to open that. My computer did die about a year ago and I have a new one now so maybe that is the issue. I searched for my copy of FREEHAND MX but when the Apple store migrated me, it does not seem to work any more. 

So that is why everything seems very strange. Maybe there is a PDF user's manual I can download line like FREEHAND MX has? Then I could probably figure it out. 

I'm having a fit right now. I only need to do graphics about once a year or so, and I'm looking at my "Graphics" folder. It indicates created Wednesday, December 23, 1992 at 9:19 PM ,314,177,149 bytes (5.32 GB on disk) for 985 items and I can't open any of the files, except the few with ".fh11" 

Freehand does not work with Mac OS X 10.6 or higher: https://www.adobe.com/mena_en/products/freehand/

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Ok so a frantic search on line for a graphics card for the old 27"iMac. I replaced the led driver, hard drive, power supply and whole screen, and It worked fine for a 9 year old computer, but the graphics board is dead now. Looks like a salvage graphics card might be the only option at this time. Or buy another 9 year old computer that is know to work but I suspect they all will fail eventually with those same issues as mine. 

Kind of as a joke I got out my old Mac SE30 to show my kids. IT STILL WORKS!  It has MacPaint on it too.

I can remember a website called Mac garden or macintosh garden that had abandonware on it and I'm sure I saw Freehand MX on there. There was also an emulation software called Qemu to run pre 10.6 OS X

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions