You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

exporting .tif files

I happened to want to export a file with a .tif extension from Affinity Photo which it refused to do for no reason I can understand.

The error message shown in the screenshot is factually incorrect, there is NO filenaming convention for TIFF files in the specification.  Nor is there any requirement since we got off 8.3 file systems for file extensions to have any meaning.   They're a useful hint to Windows and MacOS, and there is some stupidity in MacOS Finder about changing file extensions, but .tiff has no greater meaning than .tif or .TIF for that matter.

The workflow I was following was editing a .tif file created by Capture One, saved my edits into a .afphoto file then attempted to export back over the top of the original.  Which I could not do, necessitating additional actions on my part to remove an intermediate file.

You also seem to have this nonsense on .jpg vs .jpeg files.  

Please remove this dialog on Mac at least. It's wrong. 

For bonus credit add a 'save a copy as' option so that I can save an .afphoto version storing layer and edit structure before flattening  and saving., which would allow me to avoid going via export.  And as a fringe benefit would allow snapshotting to the file system.

Screenshot 2020-05-30 at 14.14.00.png

I agree. One should be able to use either, especially in a multi application workflow. 

I also like the dual file save as suggestion. 

Edit to add...how it presently works is not a bug and this thread should be moved to a request or the feedback forum.

12 minutes ago, Seneca said:

You seem to be an expert in file formats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TIFF

I have a certain amount of experience.  Here for example is the actual specification:

https://www.adobe.io/content/dam/udp/en/open/standards/tiff/TIFF6.pdf

Though if you subscribe to the libtiff mailing list you'll be able to see other uses and extensions of the format like GeoTIFF. 

1 minute ago, finagle said:

Though if you subscribe to the libtiff mailing list you'll be able to see other uses and extensions of the format like GeoTIFF.

I think that .tiff and .tif should be acceptable file formats in Affinity products because they both refer to the same thing. 

I simply didn't think that your assessment of .tiff as being wrong was right.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

5 minutes ago, Seneca said:

I think that .tiff and .tif should be acceptable file formats in Affinity products because they both refer to the same thing. 

I simply didn't think that your assessment of .tiff as being wrong was right.

I didn't say .tiff was wrong, I was asserting that it is not mandated and the dialog is wrong.

2 hours ago, finagle said:

Please remove this dialog on Mac at least. It's wrong.

1 hour ago, finagle said:

I didn't say .tiff was wrong, I was asserting that it is not mandated and the dialog is wrong.

In that case I have misunderstood your post, sorry.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4