You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Active fonts not showing

I sent a zip file of the problem fonts (about 8, I think).

Since that time, I've been using TransType to convert postscript fonts to Open Type. I've loaded the converted fonts into FontExplorer Pro and so far, they're working well. I'm fairly certain that I was able to convert about 90% of my fonts (have about 8,000). Some I'll never use again, although should a request arrive for one of the obscure ones, I'll be able to accommodate. I've re-loaded my main fonts and the rest will be mostly on an "as needed" basis.

I'm still perplexed as to why this really only happened in Designer and Photo. Haven't experienced type problems with Publisher.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all

I was having the same problem and realized after some troubleshooting that the only fonts that appear in AD is OT and TTF. I can't get any Postscript Fonts to show up. I've reset the fonts and made sure RightFont (my font manager) and AD were both up-to-date (along with my OS... Catalina). Is this the case... that AD doesn't support Postscript fonts? If so, that's very frustrating. I have thousands of fonts, and I'm guessing half of them are Postscript.

3 hours ago, freedoniajeff said:

Hey all

I was having the same problem and realized after some troubleshooting that the only fonts that appear in AD is OT and TTF. I can't get any Postscript Fonts to show up. I've reset the fonts and made sure RightFont (my font manager) and AD were both up-to-date (along with my OS... Catalina). Is this the case... that AD doesn't support Postscript fonts? If so, that's very frustrating. I have thousands of fonts, and I'm guessing half of them are Postscript.

I think the solution for many is inevitable. I've read many posts (Google "Postscript Fonts") in regards to Postscript font and the takeaway has been that OT is far superior. I'm not arguing that, it's just that I have about 7,000 + fonts (I would say half I'd never use unless a client requested something specific). So, I took the dive and purchased TransType 4 (A type conversion Utility) and have been in the process of converting all my fonts to OT format. So far so good. If I do get an error message or type is not appearing correctly in any of the Affinity Apps (almost exclusively Designer and Photo), I'll just do a quick search from within TransType to locate the postscript version, add that to the conversion window, convert, and then go to FontExplorer Pro and import the newly converted font. At the same time, I'll delete the original Postscript version from FontExplorer. It's a little "hiccup" in the course of working but in the end its all worth it as my font library and FontExplorer will be up to date.

I did try a few online conversion methods and they weren't that great. If you've invested money into a font library, TransType is worth it.

As a disclaimer, I have no personal interest in TransType. I've found that it's working best for me. If there's a better product out there, please post it. 

• 4 weeks later...

Like others have commented, I have had the same issue with Postscript Type 1 fonts not working in Designer. In the past, it had happened in Photo as well but that seems to be fine now. Publisher has been perfectly fine. Although I am gradually transitioning to OpenType, I still have a library of about 7000 Postscript fonts… so it is a frequently annoying problem. 

Looks like I might have to check out TransType.

• 11 months later...

I too have this problem, hadn't noticed it before with this consistency. Usually the normal routes of quitting and reopening would address this, but fonts are just not opening in Designer. They are in both Publisher and Photo, and dare I say it all the Adobe and Microsoft apps, so its not a system level issue. I have recently been using Publisher and its Designer persona to carry out my work, where as its Publisher, all is fine. A new piece of logo work starting solely in Designer has highlighted this issue.

If I cut and paste from one to another in the past that would sometimes trigger a font to appear in the menu. Not this time. No amount of restarts of the app or the system seem to address it. Cutting and pasting from Photo or Publisher to Designer displays a random alternative font named "! .LastResort"

I am now on Designer 1.10.1

As noted by some before my Publisher and Photo apps are direct from Affinity whereas Designer is serviced from the App Store (?).

I use the excellent Typeface 3.3.1 to control my library, but as I've mentioned all other apps respond instantly to changes made there.

Mac Studio M1 Max 32GB RAM running Sonoma 14.2.1
ASUS ProArt screen and Hewlett Packard HD second screen. 
Affinity Suite 2.4.0 and Beta releases