You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient tool — snap use

Hello,

In Photoshop in my painting process I use gradients a whole whole lot. I rely on them applying snappily, with a single click-drag-release, and with the basic setting of foreground-to-transparent. I make selections, either with wand or lasso or whatnot, and throw in the gradient, and deselect.

From what I've managed to see so far from gradient tool in Affinity the level of control seems to be useful for photo editing but… absolutely useless for my workflow.

Is there any way to use gradients quickly, using the current active foreground color instead of a swatch, and to apply them to existing raster layer with transparency settings working within it (the way that if my gradient has transparency it just leaves the pixels in the layer visible, and not make them transparent and show the layer below)? Or is it I have to completely forget about using gradients for what I use them now if I switch over from Photoshop?

• Staff

Hi Cygaj,

Welcome to the forums :)

I have created a video showing what I think is the fastest way to achieve what you described. Note I am picking the foreground colour after using the gradient tool.

Thanks

C

Gradient.mkv

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

21 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Cygaj,

Welcome to the forums :)

I have created a video showing what I think is the fastest way to achieve what you described. Note I am picking the foreground colour after using the gradient tool.

Thanks

C

Gradient.mkv 2.83 MB · 0 downloads

(tagging @Callum because your signature says to do so!)

Thank you so much for going through the trouble of recording this. Unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem because the issue is that by making the gradient transparent you're effectively removing pixels of the layer with the gradient (if there were any in the first place) and making the layer transparent in that area, instead of just throwing the gradient in the same layer without replacing it with the gradient completely. What I mean is this and the key part is that (this is screencap from photoshop) this was made in a completely flat document, there was no working with layers in the slightest to get this [attached image]

I'm still working in Photoshop because I still have the subscription and it makes sense for me to use the program I'm used to when I have lot of work to do, but I've bought Affinity during the sale and I will try to play with it more when I get the chance. I think at this point my solution will be to either create some sort of action that would achieve what I want, if that's a possibility in this program or… just accepting that this is not part of affinity toolset and I don't get to use gradients like that when I paint in this program. Tools shape the workflow and I think it is a good think because that creates a variety and makes your brain work differently. I can also explore other alternatives to Photoshop for painting purposes but I also need Affinity because not only I paint digitally but I also process scans of my paintings and for that I need an actual photo manipulation software

But I won't say that it's gonna be a little sad for me if it turns out that my photoshop workflow is unique to that program and that I need to give it up for good when I quit Adobe. But I think I might not have to, I just need to explore all the free/affordable alternatives and learn what they offer

2020-05-04 16_13_49-Untitled-1 @ 50% (RGB_8_) _.png

Edited by cygaj

37 minutes ago, telemax said:

Why not use a mask?

The problem isn't achieving the effect, i would just merge the layers if that was the point. The problem is doing it very rapidly, least steps possible. I work gesturaly and fast. Maybe I'll try to record what I have in mind later but I need to install some soft for it  first.

Also I think your video is the answer to the opposite of my problem actually in the first place. I think I need to record a video because maybe I'm being unclear with words :•)

Okay, I got the recording using windows built-in soft. So, this is just scribbles to demonstrate why the speed is the only issue here, not the final effect. From what I understand this is just not possible in the Affinity right now because I imagine it was designed with more control and less rapid editing of the pixels in mind and I'll live with it. I will likely end up using a different program for painting, one that have a more traditional gradient tool in them and stick to affinity for image manipulation / touch ups / preparing for print. But I need to play around more and see about that yet

link to video: https://mega.nz/file/3MlAGC6J#QzXnfSnQ4TtOBVoMnjCmDMgI0kFuNzZS-MAy5GYFvgQ

Edited by cygaj
the file didn't work, I attached link instead

In all seriousness tho, how likely is a regular ol' classic gradient tool with a foreground-to-transparent setting to be implemented in Affinity Photo? Is it something that I should look for in the feature suggestion forum if it really isn't in the program now?