You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

5 hours ago, George.creationz said:

when I load a pdf into the program it does not load the spacing in between some words so they end up as one whole word How do I fix this?

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Can you share the PDF publicly? That woud let us look at what is happening.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

First is created by InDesign. Then I placed it in AfPub. Finally I exported from AfPub (2nd picture)

I don't own font (so it is not installed) which is used in InDesign.

Perhaps it is the reason why AfPub converts it in Arial ?

See also that the word "texte" is correctly treated, perhaps because it contains strokes, and then it is recognised bt AfPub as a graphical object instead of font

test.pdf testAP.pdf

Sorry, I don't know how to display the pictures.

Thanks.

For any of the Affinity applications, to Open or import/Place PDF files, you must have all the fonts in the PDF installed. Without them (and, perhaps in some cases, even with them) you will get odd results.

To display pictures, just take a screenshot, save as a JPG, PNG, or TIFF, and insert it into your post the same way you inserted the PDF.

The font substitution probably explains the spacing differences. By the way, the word "texte" is recognized as text, not a graphical object.

Two things seem odd with Publisher's treatment of that PDF, and specifically the word "texte". But I think they are explained by the contents of the first PDF (test.pdf). Like you, I do not have the font, so Arial is substituted. But then, if I Open the PDF:

1. If I leave the option to "favor editable text" off, with the phrase "un texte tout" Publisher gives me two text frames. One of them contains "un texte" and the end-of-frame marker. The other is "texte tout" with an end-of-frame marker. The word "texte" should be in one of those frames, or the other, but having it in both is odd.
  2. If I set the option to "favor editable text". Then, the text reads something like "Un tteexxttee tout", so apparently the PDF was generated with two copies of the letters in that word.

If I open that PDF using Acrobat reader, copy the text, and paste into a text editor, I get "un textetexte tout", which confirms that it was generated with two copies of the letters, and which better matches case 1 above.

Placing the PDF also operates like case 1 above.

Here is what Acrobat Reader shows for test.pdf:
image.png.a59874a77ad52e0469251d9595fb946c.png

And here is what Acrobat Reader shows for testAP.pdf:

image.png.2caaf244ed084adfa69c2068b1d10d39.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC: