You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF font embedding options

As I can see there's only the option to embed or not embed ALL fonts. Many times designers use fonts that are licensed as "do not embed". It would be nice to have an option to only make "text as curves" from those fonts, and have the rest embedded. It could be set at exporting and maybe specified in a table application-wise for your favourited fonts (all installed fonts would be cumbersome to set).

Also, some licenses expressly say you need to rasterize the font (for example fonts from Creative Market). So an additional rasterize option would be nice too if possible, so you still have the editable version in the affinity file and don't have to spend time on rasterizing them one-by-one.

What do you think?

I know I can manually do that :) But if such fonts occure many times in your document, it's a lot to do them manually. And then you need to have 2 files saved. The original - in case you need to edit those texts, change a font at rebrand or if used as a template... - and the curve version so you don't have to do it again if needed.

But I'm not that experienced. Is it good practice to turn everything to curves at PDF export?

19 hours ago, Annabella_K said:

Is it good practice to turn everything to curves at PDF export?

Some external services need this, but if possible I would not make use of it because a) the document gets quite complex or can get possibly quite complex with the additional curves b) the files get bigger (assumption*) and c) from my experience converting to curves can lead to unexpected results in the sense of visual appearance.

*The files get smaller if you use the Subset feature on export and as a side effect you cannot extract the complete font (except you use every single character).

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Some external services need this, but if possible I would not make use of it because a) the document gets quite complex or can get possibly quite complex with the additional curves b) the files get bigger (assumption*) and c) from my experience converting to curves can lead to unexpected results in the sense of visual appearance.

*The files get smaller if you use the Subset feature on export and as a side effect you cannot extract the complete font (except you use every single character).

Thank you, it makes total sense. I suspected a), experienced b), but I haven't thought that it may not even work properly.